why does my tranny do this?

ok got the AW-4, and i can only get my shifter to go to the 2nd gear position (think my linkage is messed up) but anyway when it is in the 2nd gear position it starts out in 1st and will not shift to 2nd until 1st gear has reached its limit don't matter if I'm smashing it or just slowly accelerating, and when i let off to slow down it will down shift to 1st at 1st highest limit.

it won't do this if it is in 3rd or OD, why? :hmm:

ok got the AW-4, and i can only get my shifter to go to the 2nd gear position (think my linkage is messed up) but anyway when it is in the 2nd gear position it starts out in 1st and will not shift to 2nd until 1st gear has reached its limit don't matter if I'm smashing it or just slowly accelerating, and when i let off to slow down it will down shift to 1st at 1st highest limit.

it won't do this if it is in 3rd or OD, why? :hmm:

Welcome to the world of every other AW4 owner.

Because the TCU is stupid.

Mine does that too.

Also, 1st and 2nd are the same position, 3rd it will stay in 3rd, and D will be all the gears. Does it shift fine in D?

yeah it shifts fine into all the gears.

Mine does that too.

Also, 1st and 2nd are the same position, 3rd it will stay in 3rd, and D will be all the gears. Does it shift fine in D?

I wouldn't worry about any problems then.

There is a writeup around here somewhere that allows you to hook a toggle switch up for 2nd gear when the shifter is in 1-2.

It's programmed that way, shifts to 2nd at 4300 - 4800 RPM. when in 1-2 position. Put a switch in it & then you decide when it goes into 2nd. When in town I put it in 1-2 position & leave it there. Have much better control of gear selection with flip of the switch.

I don't know what the big deal is. :dunno:

there's this little skinny pedal you push. all you need to do is throw it in gear and push this pedal and acceleration should occur. if no acceleration/improper acceleration occurs then it is time to scratch your head and kick it a few times. :banana: :rotf:

in all seriousness though, the only problems I have with my aw4 are when I put it in bypass mode by doing forward to reverse drops too fast when I'm tuggin someone else out.

Mine does that too.

I wouldn't worry about any problems then.

There is a writeup around here somewhere that allows you to hook a toggle switch up for 2nd gear when the shifter is in 1-2.

ok cool, i ain't real smart on this computer, could anyone find that write up for me?