aussie in the front

Can I put an aussie in the front of my MJ? I have a non disco dana 30 out of a 94 XJ in the truck, I don't have manual hubs so the front axle is always turning. Would it cause binding when I try to steer on the road in 2wd? The MJ is a DD.

EDIT: Also, I do use this rig in the winter on the streets in 4wd, I imagine this could cause a problem as well?

For the first part of your question, the Aussie will be completely invisible in 2WD. Other then the ratcheting in corners, you will never know it is there. (I have had one for many years.)

For the second part. I am not a big fan of fully locked on the street. But mostly this comes from WRANGLER driving experience. the longer WB our MJ's afford will largely negate these negative issues. But in any event, lockers are excellent "lo-side" finders. and if spinning will position you in the ditch at the side of the road. Good thing is, the extra traction will almost always allow you to get out.

CW

I just installed an Aussie locker in my Dana 30 last night. I have the disco axle, but I shimmed the CAD motor over so it acts exactly like your axle. I drove around in 2WD and didn't notice a thing. On really tight corners I can hear it ratchet, but thats it. Like everyone says, you won't even know its there.

When I put it in 4WD I could really feel a difference from before I had the locker. When messing around in a field, I was happy .... but the locker made 4WD on the road a little sketchy. Sometimes it would pull the front end over to the right and sometimes it would make a racket while turning ..... but some of the time it felt fine.

This impression was only from driving around for 30 minutes with a brand new locker ..... but personally I don't think I'd want in a DD that will see snow and ice.

Come wintertime, it's a cinch to swap the spiders back in. :D

That could work... It would also force a lazy guy like me to change diff fluid after the wheeling season which would be a good thing as well. The reason I want to put a lunchbox locker into the MJ is because I really don't want to spend 800 on another locker and go selectable. Also, I really don't want to pay for another gear setup even though that on my last I got a really good deal. I wish there was a selectable lunchbox locker.

Come wintertime, it's a cinch to swap the spiders back in. :D

A cinch?!?!?!?

I wouldn't say its super hard, but it sure isn't a cinch. Especially if you have to pull the carrier and remove the ring gear ... and some carriers don't exactly like to leave the housing without a fight!

My skinned up knuckles sure don't want to be inside that diff anytime soon!!!

I said it tongue in cheek. He'll know exactly how hard it is when he pulls the spiders out the first time. I had to pull the carrier out to swap the minispool into my 44 front and it was quite the pain in the butt.

I said it tongue in cheek. He'll know exactly how hard it is when he pulls the spiders out the first time. I had to pull the carrier out to swap the minispool into my 44 front and it was quite the pain in the butt.

Do you need to pull the carrier. I thought that you could just pull the spiders out with it in the truck by pulling the axle shafts out a bit and then removing the pins.

EDIT: I'm being stupid, I'm thinking of for the rear axle. :doh:

Only certain gear ratio/axle combinations require removing the carrier. And even then, with some of them you can get away with nipping a bit of the one ring gear tooth that is preventing removal of the center pin. In my ford HP Dana 44, I needed to remove the carrier. :(

I like mine, I didn't have any issues in the snow and ice with it; soild front axles too no CAD. I actually preferred both lockers in compared to having the front and rears open; it drove better in 2wd with the lockers than in 4wd with both open. 4wd with front and rear lockers is just great.

If you're driving faster than conditions allow then sure you might get into trouble with them, but then you're driving like an idiot anyway. They help you get unstuck easier in the snow, they don't help you stop or turn any better. Or maybe if the only thing you've ever driven in the snow is a FWD vehicle and you don't know how to react properly to the rear wiggling around, you might spook and panic the first time. Make sure you go out and practice when it's safe, go to a parking lot and do some donuts, learn what it's like in 2wd and 4wd (it's a lot of fun too).

My t-case linkage got hung up one time, I was stuck in 4wd on the pavement and it was horrid. I crept along for about 1/2 mile cringing the whole way until I could safely pull off to the side and pop it out, never want to have that happen again. I would never ever recommend driving in 4wd on the pavement.

I've had my D30 Aussie for a few months now. With 3.55 gears you will need to pull the carrier and remove the ring gear. Don't know about other ratios. I could hear mine ratched in corners for a week or so, then it quieted down and I can't hear it any more. It works awesome off road, have not had a chance to try snow or ice.

Be aware that in low traction environments like ice and possibly snow, there will not be enough force on the wheels to force the outside wheel to overrun the locker in turns. this means that you will lose half your front traction in turns when in 4wd, which could easily be enough to cause problems and put you in a ditch or another car.

In 2wd the locker is invisible.

After I get my 8.25" in, it will be locked also, probably over xmas.