I'm famous....well no, not really

mjeff87

I was browsing the Novak website the other day trying to get some info on a couple different transmissions, and I read their tech page for the AW4. On it they said that they've heard that some 2.5 equipped Jeeps could be had with an AW4 but that they'd never seen one to confirm. So I sent some info to them a couple days ago, and got this response:

Hi Jeff,

I really like it when a reader will write in with information like this. It is one of the things that helps make our site run and grow. This is very much appreciated.

Ok. Note the new page, with your information on it. If you find any revisions we should make, let me know. I hope you won't object to us crediting you for this info. If so, just say the word.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/aw4.htm

Thanks, Jeff.

Eric at Novak

I don't want/need the credit, but that was a really nice start to my day ;)

Jeff

Impressive Jeff. I didn't know that about the 2.5's. :D I've found the guys at Novac to be a class act, always helpful and responsive.

QUOTE: "They (AW4) have a tendency to generate excessive amounts of heat, and are known for unnecessarily consuming more engine power than some other automatics. The shift points in the AW4 feel odd, and the spotty engagement of the lockup torque converter is idiosyncratic."

Ain't that the truth.

i like those guys to, but i don't agree with thier statement of "less than steller" on the aw4. it is one tough trans. i have a buddy that worked for jeep in the aw4 hayday, (90's primarliy) he worked for jeep for 12 years, he saw one aw4 go bad with close to 300k and nasty fluid. thats the only time i've personally known one to go bad in all my years in the business also.

i like those guys to, but i don't agree with thier statement of "less than steller" on the aw4. it is one tough trans. i have a buddy that worked for jeep in the aw4 hayday, (90's primarliy) he worked for jeep for 12 years, he saw one aw4 go bad with close to 300k and nasty fluid. thats the only time i've personally known one to go bad in all my years in the business also.

I certainly do agree they are tough. And even tougher with a good tranny cooler installed. :D But they do have a lot of power loss, almost 30% in my case on the Hesco dyno, which according to them is normal. If it ever breaks, which I suspect won't be anytime soon, I'll be working with the Novak bros to adapt a 5-speed auto in, preferably the Aisin A650E or A750E.

I certainly do agree they are tough. And even tougher with a good tranny cooler installed. :D But they do have a lot of power loss, almost 30% in my case on the Hesco dyno, which according to them is normal. If it ever breaks, which I suspect won't be anytime soon, I'll be working with the Novak bros to adapt a 5-speed auto in, preferably the Aisin A650E or A750E.

545RFE or 68RFE could be good too.