Solid cooling system upgrades?

Well, I added it to my rad yesterday. Time will tell, I'll post back and let everyone know if there is any differences.

I also picked up the 180 T-stat to throw in. But I'll wait a week or two and see if this "juice" made any differences.

CW

see people do want the cooler thermostat

Doesn't mean its the right thing to do.

Cooler.. yes. But 160 is generally considered too lo for the renix engines, 180 is a compromise. If you can get it to run with a 190 or 195 your better off.

IIRC, yes a 195 IS factory spec T-stat.

The purpose of a t-stat is to keep the coolant in the engine to help it heat up faster. The lower temp T-stats merely open sooner than the higher temp ones. Once that temperature is reached, it opens all the way up and functions the same as the higher temp ones. If the t-stat temp is way too low, the engine will take forever to heat up to operating spec (if it ever does). It is not a cure for anything since an overheating engine will still overheat.

I changed absolutely everything that had to do with the cooling system and nothing ever made a difference. I even used that bottle from macs.

I never overheated but ran hot constantly.

Only thing that ever kept the temp down was putting the aux fan on a switch and runnning the HVAC on high, hot or cool to keep the fluid moving. That keeps it at 210 now or close.

That water wetter never made a difference in mine.

I changed absolutely everything that had to do with the cooling system and nothing ever made a difference. I even used that bottle from macs.

Only thing that ever kept the temp down was putting the aux fan on a switch and runnning the HVAC on high, hot or cool to keep the fluid moving. That keeps it at 210 now or close.

Did you replace with new, OEM spec? After installation, have you verified that everything actually works? Some t-stats have been known to come defective from the factory. Does your WP spin the right direction?

I've had numerous people tell me to run vinegar in the system for a day or two to help dissolve any blockages. Maybe you have some blockages inside the block?

sounds like you need to make sure your water temp gauge is accurate. also check to see if your radiator it clean. leaves and mud and sticks in the way will hinder the process. if your radiator looks clean and there are no or very little strips of copper missing, the 'fin' like things between the bars that run across. i would then check to see if your water pump is in spec. often enough a water pump is the cause and that's what it sounds like to me if everything checks out. you may be able to pull a radiator hose off and look into the radiator. its also likely that it is clogged.

and closed loop for those of you who may have this confused, the term "closed loop" refers to the oxygen sensor. closed loop is when the o2 sensor is above 600 F. open loop is when the engine runs on a base fuel trim mode and can not make fine adjustments to achieve stoichiometric ratio. thus making you run too lean or too rich.

Did you replace with new, OEM spec? After installation, have you verified that everything actually works? Some t-stats have been known to come defective from the factory. Does your WP spin the right direction?

I've had numerous people tell me to run vinegar in the system for a day or two to help dissolve any blockages. Maybe you have some blockages inside the block?

Just about everything came from Brent's dealer. I changed the T-stat out 2 or 3 times. WP is the correct one. Never heard of the vinegar thing. Red wine or white :rotfl2: I wouldn't doubt the blockage issue. The engine has over 220,000 with probably a horrible maintence record from the PO's. I gave up on trying to get it to run perfectly. I'll just wait to put a new used engine it.

Sorry for the hi-jack OP.

Just about everything came from Brent's dealer. I changed the T-stat out 2 or 3 times. WP is the correct one. Never heard of the vinegar thing. Red wine or white :rotfl2: I wouldn't doubt the blockage issue. The engine has over 220,000 with probably a horrible maintence record from the PO's. I gave up on trying to get it to run perfectly. I'll just wait to put a new used engine it.

Sorry for the hi-jack OP.

I say give the vinegar a try. Whaddya have to lose?

Well, nothing scientific, but my temp gauge usually runs at a needles thickness over 210. Today, with a can of water wetter added, I was watching the temp gauge and its running at a needles width UNDER 210. I'll watch it for a couple more days...

CW