disc conversion

96-02 Ford Explorer rear axle with your choice of gears (3.55, 3.73, 4.10) and posi or open differential. The 6 and 8 cylinder models use the exact same axles with different brackets welded on (brackets you won't need), so don't pay extra for an 8 cylinder one. The Explorer (and Mercury Mountineer) were one of the most popular vehicles ever, so don't settle for a $500+ unit that needs all new brakes. Keep looking. $300-400 for a needs-nothing specimen is a good deal. Some of us have found them for cheaper. :brows: Try REAL HARD to get one with intact brake lines and E-brake cables. It's not hard for the junkyard to simply cut the lines upstream of where you need them. Also, make sure you get the shock mounts (just in case they come in handy), U-bolts, and driveshaft flange (which is typically unbolted from the axle and left attached to the driveshaft).

Oh, and minimum rotor thickness on them is .409" (I just learned that yesterday).

what is the most common set up for these that i should ask the junkyards for? what years? basically what should i ask them when i call around?

alex

$200 and I'll find you one with whatever gear ratio you want.

It will need new calipers/pads and rotors.

The 8.8 is a very heavy axle. I would estimate a good 350-400 pounds fully dressed. The brake rotors are some what cheap at 35 bucks a piece, but the e-brake hardware is around 30 bucks if I remember correctly. The stamped cover is very thin, and bends very easily, I strongly recommend the BTF kryptonite cover, it is extremely basher friendly, and I have had no leaks with it, even after repeated strikes against rocks. If you plan on putting a lunch box locker in it... stay away from the LSD carriers, just harder to find one to fit in it. The drive flanges are tuff, and expensive. The chepeast I have found one is 26 bucks, all the same I recommend carrying at least 1 spare if not 2

The 8.8 is a very heavy axle. I would estimate a good 350-400 pounds fully dressed.

:eek:

Try about 175 lbs. :roll:

I was going to say... When I bought mine, I put mine in the bed of my F250 myself. It certanly was heavy but I am sure I couldn't have done it if it truly weighed 300-400 pounds!!!! :eek: :eek:

CW

Supposedly it's close enough to swapping discs onto a d35 that you can use the same tutorial. A friend is looking to do the swap to his '99 XJ.

You basically need everything off a ZJ Grand Cherokee, including the brake proportioning valve.

I can send you a .pdf if you want it.

I loaded two of them by myself into the MJ for a trip to NC.

Anyway, the ones I've been getting have the rotors on them, so the e-brake stuff is all there, but most of the rotors are trashed because they have sat outside for a while in a big pile.