I am in the process of swapping 4wd into my 86 mj. a good friend of mine told me that i should 4 link the back. i don't know if i should so anyone want to voice their opinions on this matter just trying to decide. i hope to have it done before the jeep jamboree my buddies want to go this year. any insight would be awesome

86 comanche 2.8 v6 4speed stock axle in the back 87 xj axle in the front looking for a transmission

N.O.T.G.

Nice idea... LOTS of work for little return. It takes BUKU engineering top get it right.

IMHO, Your better off with what you have. Just replace the leaf packs with a supple, flexible pack. Install a good set of gas, long travel shocks in appropriate mounts. I recommend Bilstein. Then bump stop it properly.

CW

CW, what's BUKU engineering? :nuts:

On the topic of a 4-link rear... I'd call it a good idea if you want the best performance that you can get and are willing to SACRIFICE a few other things. For most people it makes very little sense and they are much better off working with the factory leaf springs (either spring over or otherwise) as they're actually a pretty good setup (jeep did their homework).

For a 4-link rear, you'd probably want to do a dual-triangulated setup... Yes, you could do single triangulated, or parallel (with a panhard/track bar), but neither offer as good of performance. With a dual triangulated setup I don't see any hope of keeping the gas tank in the stock location. I was running propane anyways, so I had the tank where 'inside the bed' would have been. This leaves a lot of space, and it is easy to get the geometry to be fairly near perfect. Also, the 4-link will allow you to run coil-overs (more performance) and hack off the last couple feet of the frame/bed for a better departure. If neither moving the gas tank to the bed, hacking the frame off a couple feet shorter, or running coil-overs sounds like a great idea to you; then I would not recommend 4-linking the rear.

um.

do your axle gears match?

you CANNOT mix and match axle gears.

also...

a 4-link is a complete waste of time on a 2.8 liter powered comanche. the only way you'll make it worth your while (which means make the truck useable enough to justify a 4 link).

bottom line, just do a 4wd conversion and be happy, if you have no intention on upgrading the engine. that motor doesn't have the power to turn anything larger than like 28" tires. they're more gutless than a 4 cylinder.

CW, what's BUKU engineering? :nuts:

What I mean is, its not something to consider lightly. It takes some real knowledge of metallurgy, physics and vehicle suspension geometry. Not to mention a better than basic understanding of how a axle cycles and articulates off road. All to many "shade tree" mechanics tackle this with poop pipe and a dream and come away with a very poorly built, unsafe setup. I'd like to think I'm a bit more on the ball with this than the average guy and I would not attempt it with out much research.

Besides, as you already mentioned, the Comanches rear suspension set up is a good one. Utilizing "flexie" long leafs for excellent ride, good articulation and good carrying capacities.

CW

EDIT for my sorry arse spelling.... :dunno: