Side view mirrors and door questions...

Ok, I need to clear something up. What year MJ went to the same style side view mirrors as the XJ? Was it an option? I have an 87 and I HATE the big mirrors that mount to the door. Just curious when the switch was made. I thought it was in 88, but I just saw an 87 with the small mirrors on it. Of course I suppose they could have changed the mounting. And yes, I am aware that I can mount up the small mirror to my doors, I need to replace them anyway though, so I am just going to swap doors.

Also, XJ 4dr front doors will swap on to the MJ, correct?? They look the same. My doors are getting bad, and I think I'll just score a set of XJ doors that are the same color as my MJ, and bolt them up.

Thanks for your help!!

Andy

So you have the mirrors that are NOT like the XJ mirrors? They have the big bracket that goes down to the center of the door? I don't like those mirrors because they are not break-away like the XJ style ones are. Your MJ is an 89, that adds to the mystery. I saw an 89 the other day that had the XJ style mirrors on it......hmmm....

So you have the mirrors that are NOT like the XJ mirrors? They have the big bracket that goes down to the center of the door? I don't like those mirrors because they are not break-away like the XJ style ones are. Your MJ is an 89, that adds to the mystery. I saw an 89 the other day that had the XJ style mirrors on it......hmmm....

nah this is what mine are liek... they arent the truck style, but theyre tiny little plastic things that are REALLY crappy.

you can SORTOf tell the driver one is further back if you look close.

Those big, chrome (rust) mirrors were part of the tow package option. The standard mirror on the base model MJs was a single, "flag" style mirror on the driver's side door. Pioneers, XLE's and such all got XJ style mirrors on both doors ... except the MJ versions don't include the inside "manual remote" popsicle stick adjuster. However, XJ mirros bolt right on if you have them. (Andy in PA, you should know this. The truck style mirrors are the same ones that are on "Blue" that Mike gave Chris.)

And yes, the MJ doors are the same as the front doors for an XJ 4-door ... up through about 1995. Somewhere around '96 or '97 Chrysler changed the latch location so the newer doors will bolt onto the truck but the latches won't line up.

FWIW, those dinky little mirrors are break-away types....so if you hit something with them (say like, a ZJ on the interstate going about 60 mph :oops: ) they snap off instead of ripping half the door away with them :D

oh, and they just pop back on, too.....

Jeff