8.8 welded tubes

Is it really necessary to weld the tubes to the center section on my 8.8 conversion? I'm gonna be running 33s AX-15 stock engine. Can I do it with my MIG welder? I can borrow a stick welder if I have to,what type/kind of rod should I get. If I do it this way I'll practice on the D35. :rotf: Is this doeable for somebody such as myself or should I pay an xpert to have it done.

120 volt MIG would not be big enough, youll need a 240 volt MIG to do that job, and yes do practice first. If you the stick route, maybe find someone whos really experienced witha stick welder. Or you can call a welder to come to you. Did that once on VW bus I was working on... had to weld in a new trans mount. cost like 40 bucks. I can't see it costing much more to weld axle tubes. If you don't plan on heavy wheeling or hard abusive driving I would probably just leave them alone. Ford did mount some of them behind V8's so they should be half way decent. Good luck!

I've heard you'll need high nickel rod for a stick welder. Your best bet is to let a pro do it, though. Also, I've heard that you should weld the top half, so if the welds crack, your axle doesn't seep.

There is some debate as to whether it is really necessary. It is a weak point in the 8.8 axle, but that's relative. The carrier is a "weak point" too, but I don't see a ton of guys breaking them. For better or for worse, if I was swapping an Exp 8.8 under my truck, I'd probably not get the welding done. :dunno:

I had a truss made for mine that goes over the top with an extra that BOLTS TO the pinion part of the housing, where the vibration dampener usually bolts to. I trust that enough to keep my tubes from spinning.