almost got my second comanche today

dancome433

so my dad had been eye-ballin a comanche down the street from a house that we did some a/c work for a while now, even took a pic and sent it to me. it is a 2wd short bed standard pioneer couldnt tell if it was a 6 or 4 cyl, but has had the passenger window down for a while, probabaly broken, and hadnt been on the road since 2001. anyway today on our way back to drop off my aunts trailer we passed by the comanche, and decided to stop by see if the guy would be willing to sell it. knocked on the guys door talked to him for a while. and he said and i quote "I am attached to my truck", thought to myself if your so attached why has it been sitting in the same place with the window down forever? :fs1: left my number just incase he wanted to change his mind. unfortunatley, this is the second time, about a year ago i offered another guy some money for his 86 2wd, but he also didnt want to sell it, says he still uses it, and its still sitting in the same place with the grass around it cut for at least 6 years(when i moved in) :fs1: anyone else have this happen to them?

No, most of the time, the guy just wants it gone........and I come along :D

I had one guy last August, that I talked to on the phone, drove out to his place, over an hour away :roll: and took one look at it :eek: it was buried behind several piles of junk, and waited half hour for him to dig it out, and what a rot box, thing was totally rotted, and it was sitting inside a barn :eek:

Even the gas tank was rotted off the thing, it was a 2.5, 4 speed, 2wd, even the tail lights were cracked :shake:

He wanted $350 for it.

So, I offered the guy $250 for what was left, and he said, Nope, I can haul it to the city for scrap and get $350 for it, so I told him I'd help him load it on his trailer, for the hour and half trip to the city, and I ended up leaving empty handed.......and glad to too :D

Most of the ones I find have rotted frames, but the parts are there for other projects Or I find non-running MJ's, and of course, pay the "lower" price :D

I found a couple that the guy thought it was a rare one of a kind, only 10 made in the whole world, and he want some far out price, and when asked when was the last time he went threw it and change the 20 year old seals, his response was......Oh, it's all original :shake:

I was lookin at one couple years ago...guy thought it was gold. I really just wanted it for parts since it wasn't great.

told me they're rare etc. and that you can't even find a tailgate for them anymore. went and grabbed his sledgehammer, bashed my tailgate in, and said "no biggy, I have 5 more". gave him my number and left.

three days later I picked it up for $100...and showed up to pick it up with the same truck and a "new" tailgate on it.

(in my defense, I had bent my tailgate already with a bale of round hey and it was rusty...so a dent wasn't gonna make a difference)

I had one guy last August, that I talked to on the phone, drove out to his place, over an hour away :roll: and took one look at it :eek: it was buried behind several piles of junk, and waited half hour for him to dig it out, and what a rot box, thing was totally rotted, and it was sitting inside a barn :eek:

Even the gas tank was rotted off the thing, it was a 2.5, 4 speed, 2wd, even the tail lights were cracked :shake:

He wanted $350 for it.

So, I offered the guy $250 for what was left, and he said, Nope, I can haul it to the city for scrap and get $350 for it, so I told him I'd help him load it on his trailer, for the hour and half trip to the city, and I ended up leaving empty handed.......and glad to too :D

couple of weeks ago a couple of my buddies and i traveled 2 hours to go look at a cj7 that my buddy was going to build up for off-roading, got lost and called the guy to ask for directions, called us back about 10 min later, and said "jus so you guys don't travel too far i jus sold it" we were about 15 min away :headpop: , i told the guy that we were the ones that were buying it, he said the guy bought it was right in front of him, this was after we had been talking to him for 3 days telling him we were going on that day :fs1: , so at least you got to see the mj,

I was lookin at one couple years ago...guy thought it was gold. I really just wanted it for parts since it wasn't great.

told me they're rare etc. and that you can't even find a tailgate for them anymore. went and grabbed his sledgehammer, bashed my tailgate in, and said "no biggy, I have 5 more". gave him my number and left.

three days later I picked it up for $100...and showed up to pick it up with the same truck and a "new" tailgate on it.

(in my defense, I had bent my tailgate already with a bale of round hey and it was rusty...so a dent wasn't gonna make a difference)

haha thats awesome, yea this guy said that they were rare and that he was attached to the truck, but its jus sitting in his driveway rotting away

Theres an 86 near me i dive by 4-5 times a week that never moves, just sits along the road, If it wasnt for the fact its a 2.8 id be more intrested in asking if they like to pass it on :yes: but it just sits there and rusts, and rusts, and rusts...

Now that's what I like to hear..........There is still a big demand for the MJ :yes:

i know the day i found mine, i called the guy immediatley, when i picked it up a month later, guy said he had like 15 calls for it,

When I was looking for my first Comanche, I found one a mile from my house. Original owner, 90 model ELIMINATOR ,37,000 original miles. We had just had a tornado in town and the truck had some damage, cracked windshied, broken mirrors, and a few dents, minor stuff. Anyway, has a salvage title now. I offered the man a pretty penny for it and thought he was going to sell it to me, but he backed out. He still drives it from his house to his farm, a short distance, but still illegally. It still has no plates on it. Thought I'd gotten over it. :fs1:

man that sucks, my dad was telling when he was living in florida, he took his boss to work one day, and the took him home, to find a 1970(i think) el camino 454 ss, standard, bucket seats with centet console, the works, jus sitting there, my dad asked his boss what was up with it he said the bank took it when he claimed bankruptcy, and the bank still hadnt picked it up, my dad talked to the bank and the bank said that he could buy it from them with a power of attorney, but he would have to wait for the papers to come in. this all happened in july/august, some kids lit the car on fire in dec :fs1: , my dad got the papers in jan, :headpop: