an other d44 question

So i'm goign to check out a couple of dana 44s this weekend, and all the owners say they have come out of mjs. Problem is that they do not know what year or what gears they have in them. is there like a chart or somthing that could help me figure this out so i know what i'm getting/ looking at. also whats a fair price to offer for a rear 44 out of an mj?

and since nobody has ever seen my mj i'll try to get picks up of it this weekend to prove that it is real

thanx again - cody

If they allow you to take the cover off, the ring gear has a set of numbers stamped in it, including the number of teeth on the ring gear and the pinion gear.

There should also be a tag fastened to one of the bolts with the ratio, but it is usually too badly rusted to be able to read. Or missing altogether.

Rule of thumb (not set in stone) from the factory:

2.5l 4 speed stick = 3.55

2.5l 5 speed stick = 4.10

2.5l auto = 4.56

4.0l 5 speed stick = 3.07

4.0l auto = 3.55

Chances are very good they will either be 3.55 or 3.07. A quick and dirty way to check ratio is to hold one brake drum still and rotate the other one around exactly twice. Count the number of times the pinion yoke spins around. Just over 3 times is 3.07, about 3 and a half if 3.55, etc.

Going prices differ area to area. These days I wouldn't pay more than $300 for one that was in good shape and was the proper ratio for my needs. If it's beat up or the wrong ratio, the price drops quickly to $200. Also, 3.07 is always the wrong ratio for me.

The gear ratio for the rear end is also stamped on the passengers side axle tube (cause the tag on the cover isn't always there, or if it is it's hard to read). I have yet to get my hands on a MJ/XJ D44 with 4.10's in it, so I do not have those numbers (nor do I know if they were even offered from the factory that way).

MJ:

3.07 Gear Ratio = 605325-12

3.54 Gear Ratio = 605325-10

XJ:

3.07 Gear Ratio = 605342-1

3.54 Gear Ratio = 605342-3

Hope it helps for future reference.

The gear ratio for the rear end is also stamped on the passengers side axle tube (cause the tag on the cover isn't always there, or if it is it's hard to read). I have yet to get my hands on a MJ/XJ D44 with 4.10's in it, so I do not have those numbers (nor do I know if they were even offered from the factory that way).

MJ:

3.07 Gear Ratio = 605325-12

3.54 Gear Ratio = 605325-10

XJ:

3.07 Gear Ratio = 605342-1

3.54 Gear Ratio = 605342-3

Hope it helps for future reference.

The BOM(build of materials) is stamped on the axle tube not the ratio. You need to go to Dana's site to find out how it was built and what gears were used using the BOM numbers.

I had a factory D44 4.09 geared MJ rear axle that I sold to JeepcoMJ. So yes they do exist and were an option.