Any body ever swap in a FORD 302 C6 and T-case ?

Any body ever swap in a FORD 302 C6 and T-case ? I have a complete 1981 F250 4x4 and was thinking it would be cool to use it's parts to convert MJ to 4x4. I'd have to get some jeep D44 axles . There is a coustom drive shaft shop 5 blocks away from home so the lengths are not an issue.I know motor mounts or crossmembers would have to be Fabbed or modified. I've seen Chevy 350 V-8's in XJ's ,so what do you think?

Small block Ford swaps are generally more forgiving than some others due to the Distributor in the front,so you can mount them more rearward and lower in the frame.Hell I put a 302 in a Pinto :nuts:

Yea, I've done like 3- 302 engine swaps, and a couple of C6's.

But........they were all in Ford vans :D

I've never put a 302 in a Jeep, cause they belong in a Ford :roll:

And vans are a PITA to work on, 1/2 inside, 1/2 out front, and 1/2 the work underneath :headpop:

If your close to me, I have a '89 EFI Reman 302 with less than 20K on it, truck got totaled about 2 years after the engine swap :( It's been parked for the last 6 years looking for a new home.

The thing I would look for in a 302 is from a van or 4wd, cause the oil pan drop is in the rear to clear the axle, about the same as the 4.0 engine.

I know there's a big difference between the various years of 351s. The Modifieds have nothing much to do with the Windsors, and the Clevelands are in there somewhere too. But I'm not entirely certain their relation to the 302. :hmm:

And vans are a PITA to work on, 1/2 inside, 1/2 out front, and 1/2 the work underneath :headpop:.

No wonder you had so much trouble,

that's three halfs!!! :idea: :D

a 302 and a 351 are like a 305 and a 350... same block different bore and stroke, a lot of parts are interchangeable

Pretty much the same, but 351's use a taller deck height than 302, which makes them wider, and means the intakes are different.

Also (to the OP) be aware there are 3 different 351's,

351 Windsor, which is the 302's big brother, and the most common version you'll find.

351 Cleveland, bigger ports, canted valves, different engine, though people (and the factory) sometimes swap Cleveland heads onto Windsors (Factory Cleveland headed Windsors = 302 & 351 Boss engines).

351 M, the 'truck' engine of the three, pretty much a 400M, with a 3.5" stroke, instead of a 4" (all the above engines have a 4" bore).

I'd say swap an AMC V8 in instead. :D

And vans are a PITA to work on, 1/2 inside, 1/2 out front, and 1/2 the work underneath :headpop:.

No wonder you had so much trouble,

that's three halfs!!! :idea: :D

Yea.......tell me about it :headpop:

The last van I did the engine in, I took the doors off.......got tired of walking around them :D

a 302 and a 351 are like a 305 and a 350... same block different bore and stroke, a lot of parts are interchangeable

Pretty much the same, but 351's use a taller deck height than 302, which makes them wider, and means the intakes are different.

Also (to the OP) be aware there are 3 different 351's,

351 Windsor, which is the 302's big brother, and the most common version you'll find.

351 Cleveland, bigger ports, canted valves, different engine, though people (and the factory) sometimes swap Cleveland heads onto Windsors (Factory Cleveland headed Windsors = 302 & 351 Boss engines).

351 M, the 'truck' engine of the three, pretty much a 400M, with a 3.5" stroke, instead of a 4" (all the above engines have a 4" bore).

I'd say swap an AMC V8 in instead. :D

:agree:

Perfect explanation of the 351 family :thumbsup:

351W's, which are mostly found on Ford trucks, aways in a van. C's and M's are found on cars. And your right, there are some trucks with the 351M in them.

Any 302 or 351W from a van or 4wd would work the best because of the rear oil pan sump.

But there would be a ton of extra work to get the thing set up and running in the MJ......Me, I'll stick to swapping out a 4.0 for a 4.0.