Lowering Spring differences

Ok, So I got bored and wondered through the local pick and pull yesterday. I lucked out and found a ZJ with the rear axle removed already, and the springs sitting on the rear seat. Schweet. Now I do not have to cut the 2000 XJ springs I have, and can put those back onto a 1991 XJ my MIL is driving so it will ride better.

So I painted them up a nice red color. I used some of that Latex H2o that Krylon has out (had a can laying around for some reason). It is supposed to be a spray off clean that would be good for plastic patio furniture, so I figured that coupled with the latex paint would make it good for springs. Maybe it will not flake off after a few thousand miles. Besides, Eibach paints their springs red, so it must be good for performance right?

Anyway, here is a picture for those guys on here interested in lowering their MJ without laying frame like Jbhill. THe Right is from the ZJ, the left is a stock 2000 XJ spring.

they look like about 1.5-2 coils less than the XJ spring so between 2" -3" of drop depending on weight of the truck.

springs cost me $17 which is fair enough I suppose.

yea, I figured it would get a bit rougher as these are a higher spring rate. I have a good set of shocks up front, and I am going to try to find a good set of coil spring isolators before I install them. I suppose I can always go back to cutting the XJ ones, but I hate to do it ya know.

See if you can find some FRONT TJ coils in the junkyard. The rate will be similar to XJ/MJ springs but they'll ride about 2" lower.

I cannot say that I have ever seen a TJ in the Junkyard. I have seen a Commando or 2 though. There have been a few people around here selling their stockers on craigslist, but they want $100 for them. Gotta be crazy

I want to drop my MJ in a bad way. I had it all laid out when I bought my gvr4 which has now consumed all my money. my plan was as follows

zj rears up front

dropped rear

non disco front end (have disco now)

242 t-case (have 231 now)

black 22's staggered

call me :nuts: but I think it would sit sexy

I want to drop my MJ in a bad way. I had it all laid out when I bought my gvr4 which has now consumed all my money. my plan was as follows

zj rears up front

dropped rear

black 22's staggered

call me :nuts: but I think it would sit sexy

hopefully by "staggered" you don't mean larger front smaller rear...cause that wouldn't work with the gear ratios available (must match).

but if you meant rears stick out farther than front, :thumbsup:

zj rears up front

dropped rear

black 22's staggered

hopefully by "staggered" you don't mean larger front smaller rear...cause that wouldn't work with the gear ratios available (must match).

"Staggered" typically means wider, not taller. He should be fine if he was indeed using the word in the correct manner.

The hard part is matcing the different widths and relative aspect ratios to keep overall diameter close enough to not kill the axles with different rotation rates.

zj rears up front

dropped rear

black 22's staggered

"Staggered" typically means wider, not taller. He should be fine if he was indeed using the word in the correct manner.

The hard part is matcing the different widths and relative aspect ratios to keep overall diameter close enough to not kill the axles with different rotation rates.

you are correct sir.

some 22x8 with3" lip up front and some 22x10 with a 5" lip on the rear.

if I did all that though I would have to fork the cash out on a blower so the ol mj can back up the look.

my gvr4 just takes up so much money. but the feeling behind the wheel of it with the sweet harmony of the 3" intake feeding the evo III turbo at 21psi exhaling to the 3" turbo back exhaust all to be met with the HKS SSQ bov at each shift makes me :clapping:

zj rears up front

dropped rear

black 22's staggered

you are correct sir.

some 22x8 with3" lip up front and some 22x10 with a 5" lip on the rear.

if I did all that though I would have to fork the cash out on a blower so the ol mj can back up the look.

my gvr4 just takes up so much money. but the feeling behind the wheel of it with the sweet harmony of the 3" intake feeding the evo III turbo at 21psi exhaling to the 3" turbo back exhaust all to be met with the HKS SSQ bov at each shift makes me :clapping:

More DSM????...... You guys r killin me.... :shake:

sorry there bud ^ but you must not no much about gvr4's. it is NOT a dsm nor should be put in the same category as one.

gvr4's were made in japan and not the states like dsm's. and your average gvr4 owner is not like your typical dsm guy (read between the lines).

and its better than owning a honda like every other guy out there and when was the last time you seen a gvr4 running around? there are tons of t/l/e's around but few gvr4's. :thumbsup:

sorry there bud ^ but you must not no much about gvr4's. it is NOT a dsm nor should be put in the same category as one.

gvr4's were made in japan and not the states like dsm's. and your average gvr4 owner is not like your typical dsm guy (read between the lines).

and its better than owning a honda like every other guy out there and when was the last time you seen a gvr4 running around? there are tons of t/l/e's around but few gvr4's. :thumbsup:

you are right, all the Evo owners tend to take it to a new level of snobby asshattery...

/jk

//true though...

I have no clue what yalls are talking about with the DSM's and whatnot, but wolfpack, it looks like you also have a 2.5 in your truck? If so, the initial drop will be about 2.5" and will settle to around 3" as mine has. Be ready to do a little bit of grinding on the upper bumpstop collar though. Mine had to be shaved all around to get them on properly; other than that, they went in with relative ease, and look great.

I have no clue what yalls are talking about with the DSM's and whatnot, but wolfpack, it looks like you also have a 2.5 in your truck? If so, the initial drop will be about 2.5" and will settle to around 3" as mine has. Be ready to do a little bit of grinding on the upper bumpstop collar though. Mine had to be shaved all around to get them on properly; other than that, they went in with relative ease, and look great.

what size tire do you have? I have the 10 hole wheels with some 205/75/15's on there I think, I just got some new rubber a few months ago and can't remember what size it is. Smallest factory size I know though.

what size tire do you have? I have the 10 hole wheels with some 205/75/15's on there I think, I just got some new rubber a few months ago and can't remember what size it is. Smallest factory size I know though.

I believe I have the smallest factory size as well; I'm currently running 235/75/15's on stock steelies. I'd have to go out to look to be certain though. Going out to look isn't easy for me right now, as not only is it raining, I'm also battling strep throat.

This would be how I would build a lowered street MJ... :D

ZJ upcountry coils with 1-2 coils removed

The largest swaybar that an ZJ uses

Add a rear swaybar

Custom stiff rear springs built for proper ride hieght mounts relocated as needed.

Bilstein 7100 shocks

8000rpm Mopar 340 built, camed, with aluminum heads for about 450hp :chillin:

A 150 shot of nitrous for kicks jamminz.gif

Built TF999 3000rpm stall converter and a reverse manual valvebody

NP242hd Dodge transfercase

In cab adjustable proportioning valve

WJ front knuckles and brakes

ZJ rear discs

97+ nose fenders and doors

Cowl hood

Plum Crazy paint

The tire / axle combo would be non-disconnect D30 with a true track geared, 4.10 frt gears with 275/35ZR19 tires and Rear D44 with a detroit locker, 4.88 rear gears with 305/40ZR22 tires.

This would have a top speed of 154mph at 8000rpm and spin 3500rpm at 65mph. That would be a 26.5"x10.9" front tires and a 31.5"x12.4" rear tires. A 340 will happily spin 3500 rpm all day long. :thumbsup:

Find me a rust free MJ and I'll build it. :brows:

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Add a rear swaybar

Custom stiff rear springs built for proper ride hieght mounts relocated as needed.

Bilstein 7100 shocks

ZJ rear discs

Cowl hood

Plum Crazy paint

The tire / axle combo would be non-disconnect D30 with a true track geared, 4.10 frt gears with 275/35ZR19 tires and Rear D44 with a detroit locker, 4.88 rear gears with 305/40ZR22 tires.

This would have a top speed of 154mph at 8000rpm and spin 3500rpm at 65mph. That would be a 26.5"x10.9" front tires and a 31.5"x12.4" rear tires. A 340 will happily spin 3500 rpm all day long. :thumbsup:

No, no matter how bad you ask, you cannot have Baby. :P

Add a rear swaybar

Bilstein 7100 shocks

ZJ rear discs

Cowl hood

Plum Crazy paint

No, no matter how bad you ask, you cannot have Baby. :P

I'd let you come visit and take if for some beat runs, maybe even a track day. It has to be rust free thou. :cheers:

I'm pretty sure you've seen Baby when I had it at Pat's one of the times. She's definitely rust free. If you didn't, he's gonna have it down there again shortly for some time.

Anyways, enough hijacking of poor wolfpack's thread. lol

:rotfl2:

you are right, all the Evo owners tend to take it to a new level of snobby asshattery...

/jk

//true though...

:rotfl2: :rotfl2:

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

I love you guys...... :wavey:

I'm pretty sure you've seen Baby when I had it at Pat's one of the times. She's definitely rust free. If you didn't, he's gonna have it down there again shortly for some time.

I've seen it but never inspected it.

BTW thanks for the location, time and opportunity .... :brows:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Now back to the tread in process. :cheers:

but threadjacking is fun

hey beater, exactly how bad does your jeep ride with those springs? I mean, I used to have a ss camaro with poly bushings and everything, and when I got it the PO has some stupid 20's with really really lowpro tires on it. SO I am familiar with a bad ride

but threadjacking is fun

hey beater, exactly how bad does your jeep ride with those springs? I mean, I used to have a ss camaro with poly bushings and everything, and when I got it the PO has some stupid 20's with really really lowpro tires on it. SO I am familiar with a bad ride

Honestly, I love the ride she has now. To me, she was a bit too 'loose' feeling before, and because of the higher spring rate, it really tightened it up. I mean, sure it's a little jarring over big bumps/cracks/holes, but other than that, it's great. A lot less body roll around corners as well, which was anouther of my objectives with her, as she is after all a street beater.

As for the thread-jacking, see my sig. :cheers: