Flat Towing an MJ

Ok, so I did some searching and I found a few things. I just want to make sure for the last time before I go and screw something up.

From what I under stand you can flat tow a comanche with the transfer case in Neutral, the Trans in park, front diff dis-engaged, and BOTH drive shafts still connected with no problems.

Thats what I hear it says in the manual. I can't really check because mine has no manual.

I'm planning on flat towing this thing about 400 miles to an off road park in texas. Is it a good idea to flat tow it that far? :dunno:

Also, how much does this thing weigh? Because I'm planning on towing it behind my Nissan Frontier.....4cylinder, 5 speed. I think my truck could handle it, but a lot of people on here have more experience than I do with this kind of stuff...so lets hear it.

I've flat towed my MJ quite a bit behind the wife's XJ as well as a full size Chevy Pickup.

This is what I do;

TC in (N)

Tranny in (P) or (1st)

Steering wheel NOT locked

Both d-shafts connected

I'm happy to post a pic of the manual if you'd like.

The only downfall I have with the flat-towing route is if you break something you'll have a hard time getting it home. But I guess it's better than breaking your wheeling rig that you drove there...

Really only other advice I can give is the angle of your tow bar. You want it pointing slightly down. When you come to a stop the weight of the towed vehicle will push on you. If the bar is angled down it'll push the rear of the tow vehicle down, not up. It makes it much easier to stop this way. (ignore pic below, I was just setting it up)

I don't know how big your rig is, but with 6.5" of lift and 35" tires it flat tows much better behind the Chevy Pickup than it does the wife's XJ.

100_1420.jpg

100_1425.jpg

It's a much easier trip setup like this though... :D

100_2269.jpg

Great!

I have one question though. Why should the steering wheel not be locked? To me it would make sense to lock it so that it the wheels don't lock in an extreme left or right position.

I'd just like some clarification on that.

It will track straight once your moving. When you take a turn the front wheels need to be able to turn as well since all 4 wheels are on the ground. It's not like a trailer with wheels just in 1 spot.

If you lock the wheels you will not be able to turn, and most likely will not track straight while towing.

Key cannot be in the locked position. Since you're going so far, I'd disconnect the battery so you don't drain it with the truck on.

I just towed an MJ about 40 miles, and the only problem I had was with the tow vehicle. (Also an MJ. And U-Haul said it wasn't heavy enough. pfft.)

You should have the positons: Off (locked), Off (unlocked first click), on, and start. At least that is how it is on my 5 speed. But I don't know about autos as I think they have and ACC(locked) selection below the off (locked) position which IIRC gets rid of the off (unlocked first click) position but I'm not completely sure.

Auto and Manual columns should be indentical unless it's old enough to have a column shifter... those ones might be different.

Yeah, I can't remember for sure but I'm pretty sure my 92 XJ (a few years back) had a ACC position just as my 97's and 98 do but my MJ does not, Maybe its because of a newer year? Another notable difference between the columns is the key release is different on the manual (you have to push the button where the autos don't have a button) but that has nothing to do with the steering lock.

Yeah, I can't remember for sure but I'm pretty sure my 92 XJ (a few years back) had a ACC position just as my 97's and 98 do but my MJ does not, Maybe its because of a newer year? Another notable difference between the columns is the key release is different on the manual (you have to push the button where the autos don't have a button) but that has nothing to do with the steering lock.

Your MJ has an ACC position. It's on the other side of OFF-Locked.

Looking at your ignition switch from the passenger seat, when you put the key in the ignition you go clockwise from OFF-Lock to OFF-unlock, to ON, to START. If you push in slightly on the tumbler mechanism, you can also turn the key counterclockwise from OFF-Lock to ACC.

To go that far, I'd unbolt the driveshafts from the axles and strap them securely under the truck (pulling the rear shaft will allow the t-case fluid to come out). I'd also look up your towing capabilities of that Nissan first. A bone stock 4wd MJ weighs in at almost 3500 lbs.

Went down and tried it and sure enough, there is an ACC on this truck. I guess that the whole push in the key thing threw me off as I had tried before to turn it down counterclockwise past lock to no avail. I have thought for over a year now since I got the truck that it had no ACC on it even though that all my other XJ's did. :dunce: :doh: