Gas cap

Is that the fault for a vapor leak?

Take the O-ring off the gas cap, spray some silicone spray on it and rub it in, spray a bit more and work it in some more, and replace the cap. I did that on my wife's 2000 XJ last year and haven't had a code thrown since. They want something like $25 for a factory gas cap, which is ridiculous.

I also found a place on-line that sells rubber O-rings and for c couple of bucks I bought a 5-pack of new O-rings. Next time I start to get vapor leak codes, if the silicone treatment won't cure it I'll just replace the O-ring.

The gas cap is only a "fairly common" cause of that code. It could be, as is also likely, that there is one or more small cracks in the rubber evap hoses under the Jeep. There is a hose harness assembly on the rear of that Jeep, that includes the rear axle vent line, that commonly needs replaced because of cracks. Try the cap tricks and see if it fixes it. If not, the search is on for the faulty hose. :cheers:

The gas cap is only a "fairly common" cause of that code. It could be, as is also likely, that there is one or more small cracks in the rubber evap hoses under the Jeep. There is a hose harness assembly on the rear of that Jeep, that includes the rear axle vent line, that commonly needs replaced because of cracks. Try the cap tricks and see if it fixes it. If not, the search is on for the faulty hose. :cheers:

I was pulling that code on an 01 XJ I had while it was still under warranty. It was NOT the gas cap. Turned out to be a cracked evap hose. The dealer does an actual smoke test (injects smoke to detect the leak). If a new cap or cap O-ring doesn't clear the code, It might be hard to find. on your own. :cheers:

On my '02 Ram, itwas the NVLD pump itself that had gone bad. I replaced the pump, purge solenoid and all evap hoses as most of them were cracking anyway and would have soon been a problem.

Small cracks in evap hoses is more often the cause of this code but the cap is sometimes it.

Ok..replaced the gas cap..My light has not come on yet but the computer says 0442 is pending..so it may or may not be fixed right?...if not there is an actual service bulletin out on replacing the LDP vent valve...Has anyone had this problem..Or is it more than likely the hoses to and from it...How far you gotta drive these things to reset too by the way..

Reset is not based on how far you drive. It's a number of start / shutoff cycles. I believe it's five, but I'm not sure. On my wife's Cherokee, I used a scan reader to erase the code when I treated the O-ring.

I too used a scan reader to erase the faults...so are you saying I should be able to erase the fault..then..crank and shutoff the jeep 5 times for it to reset..then put the code reader back on and all should read READY..???

Had a similar situation with my TJ a few months ago....evap circuit small leak and evap circuit large leak. Kept flashing off for about 2-3 weeks, annoying as all get out. Then it suddenly self-corrected and hasn't come back, yet. I'm sure it will, probably right at inspection time....

:dunno:

Jeff

Did you replace your cap with a locking cap? I have had to replace a lot of locking caps with regular ones to repair the problem,some don't seem to seal well. Word of advice DO NOT put gas in your car with the key on or with the car running it will set the same code.