Non-starting 92 mj, any suggestions

I recently purchased a 92 MJ with the 4.0L and the AX15 with 88k for $400. I didn't think it was a bad deal. Body is a little on the dented side, one hole in the rocker and of course it has the floor board holes. I got it cheap because it sat for in a barn for a while because it wouldn't start one day. I got it off a guy that tried to fix it but never could find the problem. I really didn't care since i mostly bought it for the AX15 and transfer case to put in my 87 (bye bye BA10). But since I have it, I would like to get it running since (a) would like to know if rebuild is necessary for the AX15 and (B) easier to sell parts or what’s left of it if I have heard motor run and have driven it.

What it will do is, it will crank and you can hear a cylinder fire once in a while then suddenly it will start up and act like it will run but just when you let off the ignition it will shut off. Basically it will start but won't stay running

Did a couple of searches on here and found multiple causes for the problem. (Awesome site by the way) Here is what i know or have done

1) Fuel pump kicks on when key is turned on

2) Jumped ballast resistor didn’t help

3) Fuel pressure gauge says the pressure stays constant while cranking it over

4) Timing in correct

5) put timing light on coil wire and it will have random flashes then when starts it will flash normally but then flashes stop and motor dies.

6) Put new coil, pick-up stator, and cps and they didn’t help (I work at a parts store so I returned the pick-up stator and coil), CPS is still on since putting it one was the biggest pain in my butt I have ever had.

7) hit head off a wall a couple times

8.) looks like previous owner put plugs in it.

9) pretty sure it is electrical(?)

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Might take me a while to respond since I work most of the week end. Thank you for your time

"when you let off the ignition it will shut off." to me, that says shes running while your holdng the key in the start position.

verify the ignition stays "on" after the key is released from the start position- sounds stupid, but if the power is cut once the key is released, its basicly dead. On my 89, that screams lower column ignition switch is out of place, or melted, OR a fuselink has departed and commited suicide.....post 91s are funky, and may have more evil tricks up their exhaust pipe...but this is the gist of it.....

verify power to necessary stuff with key in "run" position first- rule it out, THEN get busy. She won't run brain dead.

if its got power to everything it should with the key "on", its not electrical- IF its running while starting...and your starter aint gonna be happy long. :brows:

Will it stay running if you hold the key forward to the START position? If it does, but stalls when you release the key back to the RUN position then I had the exact same problem with my 89. I tried replacing ignition switch but didnt help. The problem turned out to be a bad wire up near the battery next to the fusible link. Not sure exactly which wire because I eventually brought it to an electrical shop and had them find it. Someone else on here had the same issue and it ended being the ignition relay. Try the relay first; you can swirch one of the other ones in. They are in the powerdistribution center under the hood on my 89, not sure if its the same on the HOs

Check out this thread - I think it might help. :thumbsup:

Which thread? I can't find a link

If it's been sitting for a while, the gas is likely bad. :thumbsup:

Tank was empty when i got it. So its got fresh gas

I tried "the hold the key on when it starts" and it still stops firing after a couple of seconds and will continue to crank.

I"ll start power checking tomorrow after work. Thanks for the replies

dumb question

did u diconect battery and reset computer after putting in cps

I am pretty sure i did since i don't leave a battery in it. Don't want my blue top optima to walk off while I am away. But if I didn't take the battery out everytime I quit messing with it, I doubt i would have thought to disconnect it.

Any suggestion is appreciated

Problem Solved.

Today was the first nice day that i had chance to play with the wiring. So I played musical relays and switched out the auto shut down relay with the cooling fan. Amazingly it started up and ran. Now the problem is that the oil pressure gauge reads Zero and the valves sound like hail on a tin roof. Needless to say I didn't let it run long. I will see if i can get the oil pump to prime tonight. Thanks for all the suggestion and special thanks for hornbrod for the correct one.

Problem not solved

I spoke too soon evidently.

Went back out and got the oil pump to prime. Then checked the timing since i took out the distributor. got it all put back together and its doing the same thing again. I did more musical relays and still nothing. The only thing i could think of was that i had a broken wire and i moved it around while putting in the distributor. So i spent 10 minutes moving around random wires then going and trying to start it. I am about to say screw it, take out the transmission and part it. I will probably mess around with it more tomorrow.