Gout.. is not fun.

Qui Gon-Jinn

So I knew I had it.. right big toe hurts most of the time.. I tend to ignore it and move on.. well my body decided to add pain in another place so I would notice it. Started out as some acute pain that came and went.. then full blown "WTF did I hit" pain in the back of my left hand (Pointer finger.. middle finger and thumb areas.. down the backside and up my arm)

I have been sick for about a week now.. Food Poisoning. This has leached just about all the good stuff out of my body. Ended up in ER last night.. I had "Dry" Urine sample (Hmm wonder.. I have been unable to keep liquids in my body) and my Uric Acid level was double what is normal..

Now.. I wait.. take more meds (Hate pills) and go see a dr. next Fri.

One thing.. I can still manage to type.. and spell most things right. Go Go spell check.

Allopurinol is your new best friend. It does absolutely nothing to ease the effects of an attack. DO NOT STOP TAKING IT when your attacks subside.....learn from my mistakes. You'll be taking it for the rest of your life, but it's cheap compared to some other maintenece meds. You'll need to have liver and kidney function tests periodically as well, as it can have an accumulated effect on either or both.

You can develop it in any joint area in your body (stereotypically, it's most common in the great toe). I have/had it in both ankles and my left knee, so bad I lost almost 2 years of work.

Colchizine is mildly effective during an attack, but can really (and I mean really.....) wreak havoc on your guts.

Have fun :ack:

Jeff (gout-attack free for almost 10 years now, compliments of 300 mg allopurinol per day)

Allopurinol is the key.. I know..

I have a few issues.. first.. pills and me.. we don't get along. I hate taking meds.

Second.. Dr's.. I have not had a good one in like 5 years.. finally.. next week.. I have an appt with the one I like that actually is really good.

As for Colchizine they offered that.. but with the last 6 days of food poisoning.. I have opted to skip it.

sorry to hear. i, too, am one of the unfortunate ones that has felt the wrath of gout.

after my first attack (lasted a full 8 days), the doctor tested me to confirm it was gout. but at the time, i was so against pills that i tried to do without them. well i lasted about 4 months without red meat until i had 1 friggin Arby's roast beef sammich which lead to my 2nd attack that was worse and lasted about 14 days. after that, they gave me allipurinol (300 mg's) to take very day as well as indomethican (spelling?) to take when i thought i was getting a flare-up. oh, and some "make steve feel happy pills too :)

i never was a beer drinker so that wasn't a problem. and after the 2nd attack, i cut out all red meat for good. it was much easier than i thought. pain so bad that you want to stick your foot in a blender is a very good motivator.

after the first year, i was retested and reduced to a 100 mg allipurinol pill/day. that was 3 or 4 years ago.

knock on wood, no attacks since that 2nd gawd awful flare up.

i'm currently trying to add good-for-gout foods because i really would like to get off of any daily pill.

indocin (indomethacin) is about the same as colchazine, but it's side effects are alot less....

The biggest key to gout control, aside from allopurinol, is to consume gobs of clear liquid to keep your uric acid level in check. Yes, there are "trigger" foods that can lead to an attack (mine is shrimp) but you can still consume them in moderation. Purine-rich foods, like organ meats, are big triggers for some too, as well as mushrooms.

Key is to know what affects you and balance it out with everything else, plus keep taking the meds and drink tons of water.

I wouldn't wish gout on my worst enemy, that's how painful an attack can be. It is easily the most localized, debilitating pain I have ever suffered.

Jeff

indocin (indomethacin) is about the same as colchazine, but it's side effects are alot less....

The biggest key to gout control, aside from allopurinol, is to consume gobs of clear liquid to keep your uric acid level in check. Yes, there are "trigger" foods that can lead to an attack (mine is shrimp) but you can still consume them in moderation. Purine-rich foods, like organ meats, are big triggers for some too, as well as mushrooms.

Key is to know what affects you and balance it out with everything else, plus keep taking the meds and drink tons of water.

I wouldn't wish gout on my worst enemy, that's how painful an attack can be. It is easily the most localized, debilitating pain I have ever suffered. Jeff

I've always heard that the alcohol and purines in beer, even in low levels, could trigger a gout attack. That would be freekin' horrible. Not the gout, but not being ably to drink beer. :beerhead:

Yep...beer is a big problem for Gout sufferers.

I am truly sorry to hear of your situation QGJ...and everyone that has posted of issues with Gout. I have seen two friends suffer greatly with it and would not wish it on my enemies.

I've always heard that the alcohol and purines in beer, even in low levels, could trigger a gout attack. That would be freekin' horrible. Not the gout, but not being ably to drink beer. :beerhead:

it really depends on the person like was said before. my uric acid levels were teeter-tottering on hi for a normal person, but low for a gout sufferer. so when i had that 1 roast beef sammich, it put me over the edge so to speak. my uric acid levels are "normal" now with the daily pill so i could probably get away with a little here and there. but to me, it's not worth the risk. red meet and beer aren't worth that pain. EVER

sorry to hear. get well soon.

as far as meds/pills, you get used to them. 10 years ago i didn't even like to take tylenol. i could live with the pain. now i have to take 19 pills in the morning and 26 at night. it sucks but you get used to it. living on pills is better than not living!