Upgrading to '96 dual booster/MC... last min questions

I'm shooting for the simplest option really. Read: no caliper upgrades or rear disc conversion. I've read a couple of threads an write-ups on late XJ brake booster and MC upgrades and I like what I read here.

http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/te ... pgrade.htm

So I'd like to clear up a couple of issues before I tackle it. Will I need to relocate/replace my washer reservoir? Can I keep the '90 brake pedal assembly and use the a different sensor?

Basically if anyone has experience with this swap give a shout!

..and i would just get the late model washer res. b/c it mounts inside the fenderwell

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5840 :beerhead:

I might eventually go to the late washer bottle setup, but unless I can find someone parting out an appropriate year XJ and get to it in the next week I'm probably going to just stick with relocating the stock one for now.

Ok, need to know 2 things.

-What size line goes into the stock proportioning valve from the MC? (please say 3/16 inverted flare...)

-If I decide to go with a different pedal assembly, am I going to have to find a manual-equipped '96 XJ??? (please tell me "no" here, thanks ;) )

There was a spacer for the brake switch, it doesnt fit into the rod on the 96 booster. Didnt realize this til it was all in. Either drill out the hole in the end of the rod to fit the spacer or go to a machine shop and have them make you a spacer with the same inner diameter as the old one but an outer diameter to fit the hole in the 96 booster rod.

Found a writeup on how to home-brew the rod to fit the old style switch. Go Dremmel! :D

Do you have a link to the write up? Are you talking about just grinding down one edge of the round part of the rod? or are you talking about the sleeve/spacer thing I mentioned.

Do you have a link to the write up? Are you talking about just grinding down one edge of the round part of the rod? or are you talking about the sleeve/spacer thing I mentioned.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=924285

We just ground-out the hole till that little plastic bushing just fit and used a flapper wheel to grind the flat spot. Only problem being that hole needs to be a loose fit for that bushing for the switch to operate... yea, I figured that out when the thing was all installed and put together. So I just removed the little booger and I've got enough wiggle-room for the switch to work now.

So when you do yours, make that hole big enough :shake:

Of course through all this I've managed to screw something up.

So I found this cute little Oring in the bottom of the booster box... seems as if it was supposed to go between the mc and booster... before you bolt them together :clapping:

The system works great (as far I can tell, don't really have any comparison to make besides the worn-out OE stuff...), so I'm wondering what this dude is supposed to do??? Any suggestions?

Is it just a dust-seal?

vacuum seal?

Hydraulic seal?!

While on the topic of Boosters I have a question that I feel will add to the discussion.

I grabbed the Booster, MC, proportioning valve, and pedal assembly from a '98 XJ. As I understand it, this unit assembly should simply bolt into the MJ. Will I need to mod the factory harness to attach to the 98 brake switch? (I assume so)

Put the seal in tonight, all I can come up with is it was a moisture/dirt seal.

And as far as I've heard, you should re-use the MJ prop valve. And it's not necessary to swap the pedal assembly. Its just more work for no gain at all