2003 Grand engine light???

My wife's cherokee has apparently had the check engine light coming on and off for some time now..(didnt tell me)..It has never come on while i was driving but then again i hardly ever do drive it..anyway it came on when she went to get emissions...what would cause the light to come on and off periodically..only thing comes to mind is the gas cap.

My wife's 2000 XJ had that problem and it was the gas cap. Dealer gets about $25 for a new cap, and they don't sell the O-ring as a separate part. I took off the O-ring, sprayed it with silicone spray and worked it into the rubber as best I could, and put it back. Haven't had a light for six months.

WJs are known for their evap hoses going bad behind the left rear wheel at the canister. If it is a small leak it could come and go like you say, or it could be an O2 sensor like the one I replaced yesterday on an 04 WJ 4.0. Take it to your local national auto parts chain store and have them read the code for you for free. At least youll know where to look then.

My wife's 2000 XJ had that problem and it was the gas cap. Dealer gets about $25 for a new cap, and they don't sell the O-ring as a separate part. I took off the O-ring, sprayed it with silicone spray and worked it into the rubber as best I could, and put it back. Haven't had a light for six months.

:agree: Same thing happened on our 01.

The list is a very long one. Don't throw parts at it. See what the code is.

Good point. I forgot to mention that I pulled the code in order to zero in on the gas cap.

However, a shot of silicone spray on the O-ring won't break the bank.

The list is a very long one. Don't throw parts at it. See what the code is.

Good point. I forgot to mention that I pulled the code in order to zero in on the gas cap.

However, a shot of silicone spray on the O-ring won't break the bank.

I also went on-line and found a place where I could buy the appropriate size O-rings, in a fuel-resistant rubber compound, for about 50 cents each in 5-packs. So I now have them for if/when I need them.