1991 4.0 automatic 2wd Metric Ton D44. 1st MJ project.

Rolled my 96XJ a few months back and me and onebig mj just picked up my first MJ project truck saturday. Drove it a 120 mile trip on the interstate home without missing a beat.

1991 4.0 automatic 2wd Metric Ton D44 207k miles.

There is no rust on the truck but one spot on the drivers side rocker panel, some fading paint but a very straight and solid MJ.

I bought this truck off of the forum and have always wanted an MJ.

Since there is no saving the XJ because of the rollover and rust issues it is going to be a donor for the project. My plans are to take the AX-15 and NP 231 t-case out and swap it in the MJ for a four wheel drive conversion as well as the 5 speed. I also want to rust prevent the floors and whole underneath of the truck while I have it apart. As of now I just need to wait for a break in the weather and collect some parts like a D-30 with 3:55 gears etc.

Once I get that squared away I plan on getting it painted with 3 or 4 inches of lift and a locker in the rear. I plan on using it for my DD and mild offroad and building another MJ or XJ for offroad. Today I pulled it the garage for a tune up, oil change, shot some paint on the rocker, cold air intake, and my outlaw 2's with 30" mud tires and that is how it sits. Will post plenty of pics when I get the project rolling.

A Dana 44 was offered as an option on the Comanche all the way to 1992, and not just on the Metric Tonne package. I have a Dana 44 on my 92 shortbed and it came that way from the factory.

It's true that the Dana 44 was only available from 87-89 on Cherokees.

I have heard that a number of 91 and especially 92 Comanches had a D44 for no apparent reason other than that's what was still sitting on the shelf so they used it.

But yes, Cherokees did not have the D44 as an option after 1989 (90?) I believe, 90 was still the D35, 91 they moved to the Chrysler 8.25. Then again, I could be wrong.

Catatonic posted this 1992 Comanche sales brochure a while back. On page 8 of the brochure, the Dana 44 is listed as an option with the Big Ton package.

The Dana 44 was also available if you custom ordered a Comanche from the factory, as I'm pretty sure was the case with mine.

Here is some more eye candy of the MJ with the wheels and tires mounted, hopefully this weekend I can get the xj in the garage and start to disassemble it to get the project rolling. The dent in the fender wasn't there when I got it, I got stuck in a friends driveway and it was from pushing. Hopefully I can get the truck sold thats in the garage so I can start ordering parts...