86 Comanche Transfer Case Help

Is there any other TC that will work on 2.8v6 automatic w/Selectrac, other than the NP228 or NP229 TCs?

Will a NP207, NP208, NP 219 or some other bolt right up?.....I'm having a heck of a time finding a 228 or 229 at any local salvage yards but some of the others seem to be available......Any help is appreciated!

Ok, I was thinking the 207 may work also but what about the Selectrac vacuum, which I believe is straight off the transfer case......This is not a front axle disconnect setup. Wasn't the 207 setup for a front axle disconnect? How would I handle that? This truck has the center console 2wd/4wd switch/lever.

Thanks!

SelectTrac wouldn't have any vacuum, since there is no CAD.

As for your 207, just cap off the vacuum plugs so nothing gets in there. You won't be using them, since you have a non-CAD axle. All the vacuum does is engage the front axle when you put it in 4wd, but since your axle is always engaged, you don't need it.

Ok, I see....So the center console, switch/lever is not vacuum but electronic?.....We don't have the TC out yet, the truck will still drive in 2wd. This is my brothers Comanche and I'm trying to help him out.....He's still driving it at the moment in 2wd but wants to get it fixed.

When you flip the switch from 2wd to 4wd it sounds like gears grinding, an awful sound but what's strange is if it's in reverse you can engage the 4wd and no grinding but as soon as you shift to drive the grinding starts again. :dunno:

Yep, that's the little thingamagiger........I was thinking, when I crawled underneath, looking at the TC it has what looked like some typical round/saucer looking vacuum pump thing connected to it but maybe I'm mistaken.

Do you guys know if the 208 TC might work in it also.....Seems they may have a better reputation than the 207, from what I've read. He did find a 207 at a local salvage yard (the guy claimed it was a 228) but when we got there it was 207 and looked like it had been opened up before, with all the orange silicone oozing from everywhere so we left it.

For the record, the truck came originally with a 228 that went bad years ago and he replaced it with a 229.....That has been in there for 10-12 years and now also appears to be bad. :wall: These must not have been very durable. It's basically a part time driver in the winter, that never even gets off road, unless to drop some branches on my back property.

Thanks to everyone!

the saucer thingy is a vaccuum motor that is attached to the mode switch in the cab (the one pictured above). When you flip the switch, you send a vac signal to the motor, which is connected to the mode fork in the case via a rod, and switches the case to 4WD (or back to 2WD, depending). The shift lever in the cab is also connected to the case, to the range selector on the side. You switch between high, neutral, and low range with it.

Difference between the 228 and 229 is that the 228 has an open differential operation and the 229 uses a (very expensive to replace) viscous coupling, just like the 249 cases in some Grand Cherokees. Most likely the VC in his case is shot.

Great info mJeff87....So the vacuum lines for the switch/lever should hook up to the vacuum on the 207 or possibly 242 (like Pete recommended) as long as the spline counts and input lengths are the same, they should work, other than not having full time 4wd?

I thought I heard some thing about the spline counts being different on the manual trans as compared to the auto?? He has the TF904 auto in his. I think he just wants to go buy one and set it off to the side until he can get around to it (since it still runs in 2wd) but I'm not sure we'll ever figure this out for sure without taking the 229 out and comparing it to the others.

On a different topic...He needs a new gas tank.....Any recommendations on where to get one?....I came across this place and the price looks good and the gentlemen said they're made in Canada (not China :clapping:) and have a 3 year warrantee.

http://raybuck.com/i-67923-gas-tank-for ... wo-fi.html

Fastcast -- Where are you located? I have a wrecked '86 with the 2.8L automatic. It may have your transfer case under it -- I don't know because the guy from whom I got it had already stripped the interior so there were no parts to identify from up topsides if it was Command Trac or SelecTrac. If you're anywhere near CT and interested, let me know and I'll take a look.

Thanks guys.....I'm going to check into that 242 it sounds like a stronger TC than some of the others.

Eagle, I'm in Stark Co. Ohio.....I can't believe I'll be anywhere near CT....In 40 years I've never seen the State, although would love to. I appreciate your offer though! :cheers: