voltmeter showing little or no positive voltage

Get a multimeter and check it at the battery. The voltmeter in my '88 XJ reads barely above 12 volts during the day with no lights or accessories running, and has been like that for about four or five years. Tested at the battery I'm showing just about 14 volts with the engine at idle. Gotta be some voltage drop in the wiring to the gauge, but I haven't bothered to trace it down.

:hijack:

don't mean to hijack but i kinda got the same problem that has been buggn the crap outta me. My guage wiil read 14v, and only drop a little when i turn the headlights on or wipers and such. But when i turn defrost on, or the fan for that matter the gauge drops dramatically! Second alternator new battery, and still does it. could it be the same?

The squirrel cage draws a lot of power. When I have the fan on full speed as well as the headlights, the alternator can't keep up at idle and voltage drops to the edge of the red zone after a minute or so. The moment the engine revs up just a bit because I'm starting moving again, it pops right back up to the middle. And the lights brighten noticeably. Old alternator did it till death wobble fried it's bearings, new alternator does it, battery is fine. And I have the high amp alternator.

I did find out the alternator output is rated at 2000 rpm. Don't know how fast the engine has to rev to spin the alternator at 2000 rpm, though, as I never measured the crank and alternator pulleys.

Ditto here. Used to read a steady 14 volts and then started dropping fast. Reading at battery indicated alternator was working. I pulled the cluster and had full voltage at the cluster plug. Cleaned the contacts a little and meter went back up to 14 volts. It's falling slowly again, so I'll have to try better cleaning.