Fill up problem and steering

Well it was finally time to put gas in my new truck after I got it tagged and registered. The gauge is reading just about 1/4 tank when I pulled into the local filling station. Shove the nozzle in the truck and begin filling... and stops at about 8 gallons. I don't think much of it and start heading down the road and notice the gauge is only reading 1/2 to 2/3 of a tank.

I repeat the same process a few days later with the same result. This time I used another filling station and tried to us the topping off the tank process to squeeze more in. No such luck. I have no idea what is going on. What should I look for and what should I do? :???:

I also have a question about the steering linkage. Does the MJ have the same steering st up as an XJ or TJ? Currently my steering has a lot of slop in it and I would like to fix it. I would like to use the factory linkage from my Rubicon, or do a V8 ZJ linkage swap that works on the TJ.

you may have a bad guage. ORRRR... Our MJ's do not have baffles in the gas tank like most cars, therefore the reading will change based on if you are going uphill, downhill, and how much you are on the skinny pedal. best way to see the real reading is to stop on flat ground and let it settle out, then use that as your reading.

Yes, XJ, TJ, LJ, and ZJ have the same steering setups.

you may have a bad guage. ORRRR... Our MJ's do not have baffles in the gas tank like most cars, therefore the reading will change based on if you are going uphill, downhill, and how much you are on the skinny pedal. best way to see the real reading is to stop on flat ground and let it settle out, then use that as your reading.

Thanks. I am planning on doing the full cluster swap this weekend. Although, I am not sure that my current gas gauge is bad. I have noticed some movement of the gauge when driving, indicating to me, the gauge its self is working. When she is parked the gauge does not read full either.

What sort of float does the MJ used? Would it be possible that my float has a hole in it and partially filled with fuel, thus not sending an accurate reading to the gas gauge?

Yes, XJ, TJ, and ZJ have the same steering setups.

I figured this was the case.

The slop in the steering may also be caused by a loose trac bar (the bolt/nut on the frame end inside the bracket), you have to pull the cotter pin to tighten it.

I'll give the TB another look. Seems like I should have some major death wobble if the TB was loose.

with 186k on the truck and what appear to be the factory TRE's, I think they should be replaced anyhow :yes:

I'll give the TB another look. Seems like I should have some major death wobble if the TB was loose.

Why? A sloppy track bar doesn't cause death wobble. It just causes imprecise steering. Ditto a loose over-center adjustment in the steering box.

Yes, XJ, TJ, LJ, and ZJ have the same steering setups.

This is correct except for the "LJ" part...there is no such thing as an LJ body code in the Jeep line. ;) :thumbsup:

My buddy, who is a Jeep tech, shakes his head whenever someone says "LJ". Sometimes I'll say it just to get a rise out of him. :D