Something hitting my underbody

Hey guys i have had this problem before when i start to acclerate in second gear i hear this bad knocking noiser between my cab and bed but under the truck. It sounds like my drive shaft or a cable bouncing around and hitting the under body. I'm not even sure if it is hitting my under body but it just sounds like something sping and banging around or something. Does anybody know what it is or can give some ideas cause i have no clue

Check the tranny mount for play, as this is a common noise to come from under the truck. Also, bad motor mounts will let the motor "roll" and cause the exhaust to bang on the crossmember.

it doesnt even have to be bad motor mounts for the exaust the bounce around, could be just a brocken bracket or i don't know about the rest of your guy's jeeps but the exaust itself rotting away. mines about 2/3 gone from rot.

or even check the ujoints, just make sure theres no wear or that they are not lose.

Well my exhaust has been replace since the original one rotted out making the exhaust break in half but that could be bouncing around. As for the u joints i replaced all of them when i put my new clutch which was less then a year ago so i think they should be good but I'm gonna check the motor mounts and exhaust to see if something is rubbing

might be a longshot, but the speedo cable is secured underneath by a clip at the upper control arm bolt. The clip could have come loose/rusted off and the speedo cable could be bouncing off the floorboard.

Happened to mine once, drove me nutz trying to figure it out :yes:

Jeff

why don't you put it on jacks, make the noise and look for the problem? my guess is exhaust. if your tranny mount was loose, when you give it some or downshift the shift lever would be moving all around. don't ask how i know. good chance its not the driveshaft or u-joints. e brake cable possibly? mine made noises a few times.

I don't think its anything in the front cause the sound is coming from under or right behind the cab and then when i looked under i saw the rear drive shaft coming out of the transfercase/tranmission with fluid all over and it is right in the area where i have been hearing the noise

Maybe the tailshaft bearing is going bad, and letting the D/S flop around in the housing nc making the noise that way? I think that if you can wiggle the D/S a bit at the X-case, then it might be a good idea to pul the 'shaft and see if you can wobble the tailshaft around any. It is not supposed to move and if it does, then I would def. consider the bearing to be bad.