91+ Grille into an 88?

I know that I need to remove the metal upper and lower tracks on the 88 to accommodate the integrated tracks on the 91+ grill and headlight doors, but what else might I need to do?

Obviously, the 88 headlight doors will have to go, as will the metal trim that goes behind them. It looks like the turn signal screws will be fine, though I may have to pre-drill some holes. What else do I need to do?

(I searched)

I used a grill from a 1993 XJ on my 89 MJ. Not hard at all and the write-up is in my Build-up thread here -> viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8051&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=90=.

Take a look at that, if you like, and get back with me if you have any more questions. - Rich

Looks great. I figured that the worst that I woud have to do would be washers as spacers to fill a mounting gap or to file something down to get it flush.

I used to have a grille guard similar to that on my XJ. I loved it!

I used a grill from a 1993 XJ on my 89 MJ. Not hard at all and the write-up is in my Build-up thread here -> http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopi ... &start=90=.

Take a look at that, if you like, and get back with me if you have any more questions. - Rich

Rich man thats awesome!! I asked this very question a few days ago on NAXJA, and lets just say that thread is on page 6 at the moment.

So will it be obvious where I will have to grind for the markers? I really didnt notice a difference with the 2 pics...other than lots of fiberglass dust lol. Also, does the old metal strips just held on with screws?

I am so glad you did this...my metal upper strip is rusting away and look so bad.

Let me know Rich, thanks. :cheers:

Looks great. I figured that the worst that I woud have to do would be washers as spacers to fill a mounting gap or to file something down to get it flush.

I used to have a grille guard similar to that on my XJ. I loved it!

I love that grille guard :oops:! No washers or anything like that, just a few extra holes and some hardware. It fits as snug as the old one.

Rich man thats awesome!! I asked this very question a few days ago on NAXJA, and lets just say that thread is on page 6 at the moment.

So will it be obvious where I will have to grind for the markers? I really didnt notice a difference with the 2 pics...other than lots of fiberglass dust lol. Also, does the old metal strips just held on with screws?

I am so glad you did this...my metal upper strip is rusting away and look so bad.

Let me know Rich, thanks. :cheers:

Thanks :D ! Yep, a few screws and it came off. You will see what needs to come off when you check the fit - it was not much. I think I ended up taking more than I needed on one side, but did not affect the mounting at all. There were two screw holes on the side light covers that have no place to screw into on our older headers, so I place a nut on the back of those two filler screws to keep them in place. I also (not sure if I put this in the write-up) had to drill two small holes into the metal face of the fenders, I believe on each side, to keep the side pieces snug up against the header. I hope I didn't scare anyone off with this lengthy and ill constructed response. Bottom lime, it is a piece o'cake and much easier than I made it out to be.

Thanks :D ! Yep, a few screws and it came off. You will see what needs to come off when you check the fit - it was not much. I think I ended up taking more than I needed on one side, but did not affect the mounting at all. There were two screw holes on the side light covers that have no place to screw into on our older headers, so I place a nut on the back of those two filler screws to keep them in place. I also (not sure if I put this in the write-up) had to drill two small holes into the metal face of the fenders, I believe on each side, to keep the side pieces snug up against the header. I hope I didn't scare anyone off with this lengthy and ill constructed response. Bottom lime, it is a piece o'cake and much easier than I made it out to be.

Sweet! Thank You. jamminz.gif