help for the $50 CJ8

tazjeeper

I just found a jeep for my brother. He wants to get back into jeeping. he had a comando and a jeepster. but now its a 82 cj8 that I found for $50.oo...... thats right 50 bucks how can you go wrong.

He is going to rebuild so he is looking for any web sites that are good to buy parts from if you guys know of any... thanks

It has the 151 4 banger so he may or may not keep that. but has to redo the floor and a few other things..

Floor pans are gone and the bed but for 50 bucks you can not go wrong for a CJ8.. He is going to sand blast the frame, make a floor or buy one to be put in. going to be a greart build for him as he does not wheel its just going to be a DD..

The bestthing is is that all the parts are there to put back on after you build a new body. the pic of the dash does not realy show how clean the jeep is as their is frost all over it but, what do ya want when its -29 at night and only -4 in the afternoon.

Floor pans are gone and the bed but for 50 bucks you can not go wrong for a CJ8.. He is going to sand blast the frame, make a floor or buy one to be put in. going to be a greart build for him as he does not wheel its just going to be a DD..

The bestthing is is that all the parts are there to put back on after you build a new body. the pic of the dash does not realy show how clean the jeep is as their is frost all over it but, what do ya want when its -29 at night and only -4 in the afternoon.

Yup, you can buy new frames and bodies. Its having all the little parts that makes it worth it.

And ya, for $50 its hard to go wrong.

Hecka god vin plate and title for a cj8 fetches 1000-1500 where I am from. Basicaly unless he like doing body work and welding.. the thing to do is buy a new frame set up for coils... and aluminum or fiberglass tub. Sell all useable sheetmetal to one of them eccentric cj8 guys.. and wheel this piss out of it.

Thanks for the link I will pass it on.

Where can he sell the reg and vin# if he was to do so.. this thing might not be worth the build as its not going to be a wheeled jeep. he just wants one because they are rare and would be fun to do.

He is going to keep it stok maybe a body lift 2" so he can put 31's and maybe maybe a 6 in it. a 258 or take one of the 4.0L that I have. My project peyote maybe getting a 351M that I just found with t-case and tranny and wire harness out of a 77 truck.

we are going to pick up the jeep next weekend I will post some pics...

don't let him get rid of it! he will regret it later. he could sell the vin (the vehicle with valid vin) on ebay. i would rebuild it back to stock specs if it's not a wheeler. he can get 31's under it no problem if he doesn't need all the flex, helk 33's will ft if you're not going to wheel it. in know others like them built up, but i'm a fan of them restored to original with 31's on them.

doing a stock rebuild is not that big of deal since you can get anything you need for them. i'd check the frame, it may be in good shape. then just sandblast it and por 15 it. if not, pick up a used one on ebay. the tub and fenders can be replaced pretty easily. he may have enough of the body left to make it worth while to use it as a base. there are cheap ways he can put new metal in. if the floors are bad, they're pretty cheap.

in short, keep it or give it to me and i'll restore it! :thumbsup:

know others like them built up
:waving: My idea is for your brother to start off with a 4.5'' lift, some 33'' tires, and at least one Aussie like I did :clapping:

Then move up to 37'' tires and two Aussies - one for the front and one for the back seat -they jump around a lot :brows:

He is not going to sell it. he has found most of the parts he will need to buy online. he has decided that he will put in the back seat. I can not wait for it to be done. as he is not an off road guy I always get to take his jeeps off the beaten path to see how they work.

I thought he could use a 31 or 32 with out a lift. he is thinking of 1" body lift.

Yes back to original is the plan. we love to modify stuff but to make something like this original is the way togo with it. like building a 73 z1 Kawasaki if you don't put it back to spec I don't see the point.

know others like them built up
:waving: My idea is for your brother to start off with a 4.5'' lift, some 33'' tires, and at least one Aussie like I did :clapping:

Then move up to 37'' tires and two Aussies - one for the front and one for the back seat -they jump around a lot :brows:

hey, what's the paint job on that 8?

He is not going to sell it. he has found most of the parts he will need to buy online. he has decided that he will put in the back seat. I can not wait for it to be done. as he is not an off road guy I always get to take his jeeps off the beaten path to see how they work.

I thought he could use a 31 or 32 with out a lift. he is thinking of 1" body lift.

Yes back to original is the plan. we love to modify stuff but to make something like this original is the way togo with it. like building a 73 z1 Kawasaki if you don't put it back to spec I don't see the point.

yah, the parts are easy to come by. there are some excellent companies making bodies now, including the original willy's overland. he can go with 31's without a problem. 32's will rub a bit unless he changes the offset on the wheels. the 1" body lift will clear the 32's just fine and will be an easy job. with a 1-1 1/2" body lift, you shouldn't have to change much at all. the brake lines, etc, do have the length to work with that height. if it is going off road, i would extend the lines a bit though. or you could just make up a limiting strap quick.

an idea for him as far as the back seat is to make safari jump seats. they work great in cj8's. you can put them on the sides facing each other or make them up to sit in the center and face out. i have actually seen 6 people in the back of one set up for desert touring. there is room for 2 bench seats in back if you do things right.

cj8's are just plain cool. i've had 1 and i regret selling it almost everyday. :shake:

Yeah I hear ya with the seats in the back but he plans on just puting one like a cj has so it will fold down. he is going to do a green paint job and tan inter aswell as top. he has a upolstery shop so that will be eazy for him. he was thinking of some how making a cap for the back that is nice and low like a bed over the top rails. that way if he has to pick up a couch he can.

its going to be a rig and a half.. original but not if you understand. he has already said he does not want to go bigger then a 31 so no lift if he does not want to.

Yeah I hear ya with the seats in the back but he plans on just puting one like a cj has so it will fold down. he is going to do a green paint job and tan inter aswell as top. he has a upolstery shop so that will be eazy for him. he was thinking of some how making a cap for the back that is nice and low like a bed over the top rails. that way if he has to pick up a couch he can.

its going to be a rig and a half.. original but not if you understand. he has already said he does not want to go bigger then a 31 so no lift if he does not want to.

He should get the world cap for it......those are sweet.