Here's my Project MJ "Gipetto"

You have to keep it oiled properly. I ran my K&N on the roof in pouring rain with no shield for about 3 hours and didn't have any indication of water going in the line or other problems.

My thought is more along the lines of once one half is coated in solid mud it's not going to breathe.

I agree that putting the whole thing underwater is a bad idea, but of course a shield isn't going to help with that. :smart:

The shield isnt going to kep any more or less water out. The only advantage to running a type of shield is from the engine heat, but lets face it.. the MJ/XJ/ZJ all draw air right off the radiator, so it really isnt a cold air intake, its more like a less hot air one :eek:

My buddy went through a puddle, and there was enough water that the filter never touched the water, but enough got on it to screw his TPS, and fill his cylinders with water. It was pretty cool though when we took out the spark plugs, cranked the engine, and shot water across the shop.

A shield would've kept the splash out if it was made properly.

Shields? Cold air intake? :nuts:

Hell I just thought it looked cool. 8)

(Yea i'm working on a shield, and i'd like to get a pre filter. Plus I keep the filter cleaned and lubed @ every oil change)

Just to jump in here. ;) I had fabricated a cold air intake about 2 months ago and even made a big fancy shield BUT it did not seal to the hood which left a gap. I took it out to a big mudders day thing and drove threw a couple of rather large to medium size holes and when i lifted the dood the once white filter was brown and black. :eek: The only way to seal it completely is to some how make it so it seals to the hood. Just my 2 cents

Cole

• 2 weeks later...

I was gonna rotate the tires but instead I did some interior work:

First I finally mounted my CB (still needs to be wired):

PICT9034r.jpg

It was easier to just removed the whole lower panel and attach the bracket:

PICT9026r.jpg

Held on the back by some huge fender washers (I think they'll hold... :roll: ):

PICT9027r.jpg

I've got a question about hard wiring the CB in the tech section.

And I also finally found a good sold mount for my switch box (old mounting system - very tech):

PICT8681_r.gif

Ditched the box and instead used this heater distribution box ding~a~ling (My heater is FUBAR):

PICT9030r.jpg

Mounted (the beauty of the whole thing is that the wires come in through the side vents, and it looks really clean):

PICT9033r.jpg

The $$$ shot:

PICT9032r.jpg

I ended up actually running a ground wire and distributing it to all the switches, grounding them (so now it's easy to add accesories to the 2 empty switches). And as far as interior heat goes this winter, I think i'm gonna buy one of those 9v portable units, and hard wire it in. Bundling up is getting old...

As always here's my truck's main page: http://www.amt.org/scott/mj.html

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
How do you like your name?

My problem is that every time I run into another Scott they seem to be female.

But hey, another Scott owning a MJ, that's something.

COUGH SPUTTER

where the HEll do you live that girls are named SCOTT?

sheesh i though I lived close to alabama.

Yeah.... girls named Scott?

Did she have an Adams apple?

:D

Actually I know a girl named Scottie... they used to call her Scottie the Hottie when we were younger... Have not seen her in years....

They again I live near West Virginia... and occasionally when in the southern Appalachain Mountains paddling I hear banjo music... I always paddle faster then!!

How do you like your name?

My problem is that every time I run into another Scott they seem to be female.

But hey, another Scott owning a MJ, that's something.

COUGH SPUTTER

where the HEll do you live that girls are named SCOTT?

sheesh i though I lived close to alabama.

Yeah.... girls named Scott?

Did she have an Adams apple?

:D

Actually I know a girl named Scottie... they used to call her Scottie the Hottie when we were younger... Have not seen her in years....

They again I live near West Virginia... and occasionally when in the southern Appalachain Mountains paddling I hear banjo music... I always paddle faster then!!

:rotfl2: :yes: :teehee: I'm origional from WV it is a tad bit country up there huh?

• 3 months later...

South,

I may have the switch panel you are missing from your dash. You know the one where your CB mike is placed.

LMK, if you want it, I'll send it to you.

Just let me find it first...its a one of about a dozen boxes of miscellaneous small jeep parts.

CW

South,

I may have the switch panel you are missing from your dash. You know the one where your CB mike is placed.

LMK, if you want it, I'll send it to you.

Just let me find it first...its a one of about a dozen boxes of miscellaneous small jeep parts.

CW

woah really? You gonna charge me for it? I can definetly pay for shipping. This is ofcourse if you have it.

• 4 months later...

So it's been awhile since my last update, but now that all the snow has melted I can finally work on the Jeep! :cheers:

Started by ripping out the old A/C (it's completley fubar). Now there's tons of room inside the engine compartment :brows: :

PICT9677r.jpg

Then I decided to finally clean up all the accessory wiring i've accumulated over the years. I routed all the wires together inside a protective loom and they now run infront of the radiator, completley out of the way :bowdown: :

PICT9680r.jpg

I used this marine terminal block to power all the accessories. So now they all aren't stuffed on the end of the battery terminal... :roll: :

PICT9684r.jpg

I'm working on getting some XJ seats with a cool center console and some sliders built so I can really take 'er out! :popcorn:

• 2 weeks later...

I spruced up my flakey, unfunctional, and somewhat boring bed. First I started by clearing out the cluttered bed (getting ready for paint prep):

PICT9695r.jpg

Ta-Da! Emptied and washed (I know, I need to take off the high lift mounts):

PICT9697r.jpg

I scored some angle iron that I'll be using to reinforce the top of the bed rails. I'll be using double sided sticky foam tape to hold them in place initially. Then i'll be using eyebolts and the bed box to fasten them down securley to the bed (no welding required!):

PICT9703r.jpg

Both pieces cut (time to relax and drink one down!) :cheers: :

PICT9706r.jpg

Test fit:

PICT9705r.jpg

Done with all the prep work (took 1.5 days!) and starting to tape off:

PICT9709r.jpg

First coat down! I ended up only doing a second coat on the very bottom of the bed, we will see how it holds up. :roll: BTW, I used Dupicolor bedliner (it was less than $50 for a gallon!) and a small roller. This stuff was so easy to work with, I wouldn't really mind refreshing it every 2-3 years! :cheers:

PICT9711r.jpg

Tail gate down (it got 2 very thick coats):

PICT9713r.jpg

Done! I ended up painting the angle iron with hammerite, rather than bedliner. There's 2 eyebolts, 2 other bolts, and 4 pieces of double sided sticky foam holding the rails on. I might end up putting another eyebolt in between the two that are already on:

PICT9748r.jpg

Now that's a tire mount!! jamminz.gif

PICT9749r.jpg

For those of you who have put in your own bedliner, did you put any primer down first? I was really tempted too but the instructions on the bottle didn't say to do so. It turned out alot better looking than I ever expected, and it really only cost me alittle over $60 and 3 days of work (because I move slow).