Which FSM should I buy for my 1988 Comanche?

I don't consider the '89 FSM to be any better than the '88 manuals I have (I have '88 for both the XJ and the MJ). The vehicles are pretty much the same, so get whichever one you can find, or get the better deal on. Keep in mind that there is no single "1988 Comanche Factory Service Manual." It's the 1986 MJ FSM along with several supplemental books to cover the stuff newer than 1986, such as the 4.0L engine, the Renix fuel injection, the 231 transfer case, and the Dana 44 rear axle.

As noted, in 1991 Chrysler changed the electrical system and the injection/ignition system, so a '91 or newer FSM would be largely useless to you. They are not backwards-compatible, they are year-specific. If you want multi-year, buy Chilton or Haynes.

• 4 months later...

I've got a further question on the 88 FSM. Was it sold as a bound edition of the separate parts, or were they 'mini-books' with the newer information just piled in with the older FSM? Is there a place to obtain an 88 FSM? Anybody happen to have an ISBN that it could possibly be tracked down with?

I have an electronic copy of an 88 fsm for XJs which does cover an appreciable amount of the information. I would prefer a print copy of an MJ specific FSM. Or at least an MJ specific copy.

"The" 1988 FSM (Cherokee or Comanche) is a pile of separate books. There;s the primary mechanical manual, which covers engines, axles, brakes, transmissions, and transfer cases. Except ...

... that the manual is the 1986 manual, so it doesn't include the 4.0L engine, the 231 transfer case, the BA10/5 or the AW4 transmission. Each of those is available as a separate book. Plus there's a separate manual for the Renix injection system, and a separate manual for the electricals.

I bought them from DaimlerChrysler's fulfillment house (Dyment). I don't think they have ISBN numbers, since they aren't being sold through Barnes & Noble or Borders.

"The" 1988 FSM (Cherokee or Comanche) is a pile of separate books. There;s the primary mechanical manual, which covers engines, axles, brakes, transmissions, and transfer cases. Except ...

... that the manual is the 1986 manual, so it doesn't include the 4.0L engine, the 231 transfer case, the BA10/5 or the AW4 transmission. Each of those is available as a separate book. Plus there's a separate manual for the Renix injection system, and a separate manual for the electricals.

I bought them from DaimlerChrysler's fulfillment house (Dyment). I don't think they have ISBN numbers, since they aren't being sold through Barnes & Noble or Borders.

Not completly true my friend.

I have a copy of the 88 FM from 88. It has the original 86 FSM, but also includes the original 'tech bulletin' book bound in a single manual.

The other component manuals cover only rebuilds of the individual components.

Plus don't forget the electrical troubleshooting manual which lays out the complete electrical system on the MJ, complete with connector drawings.

I got two sets for the components on my MJ from the original owner, and I got the rest of the component manuals and another mech manual off of E-B