Clean Engine Bay

I have a fairly heavy duty steam pressure washer (up to 250 degrees & 3,000 psi). Has anyone successfully pressure washed the engine bay of the MJ without blasting the engine into pieces? When you look at those used cars at the used car lots, they are always able to get the engine bays to look pristine.

I can see why I would want to stay away from the coil. Any other dangers? Has anyone else sucessfully washed their engines without destroying them and if so, can you recommend any cleaner that would bring it back to like new appearance? :dunce:

I worked for a used car lot for 20+ years and we used Simple Green Or Purple Power full strenght and a pressure washer or a comercial high pressure car wash.Allways worked. Try to stay away from electronics and the distributor but they can be dried out with compressed air and WD-40.

+1 on the purple power, Hot water works great also. If you are using a pressure washer use a wider tip and don`t hold it to close. oh yeah don`t forget eye protection(my father has owned a power washing business longer then I have been alive)

ok, here i go I don't mean to offend anyone): soapbox.gif

i have a detailing business and have for about 10 years. i have been detailing since the mid 80's. i have run a detail center at a ford/subaru/porsche/audi/mercedes/vw dealership. i personally quit using steam on engines as they added more computers to vehicles. i have regular customer still from the 80's and have seen some damage to the electronics in some of the cars. most dealerships use a high pressure washer with high temp steam and a degreaser like simple green (though usually an off brand because simple green is so expensive) diluted 3-1 with water(1 part water) or more. when it's done, they usually use clear and black spray paint to make things look perfect. the clear paint does yellow and start flaking off eventually though.

what i do now (and recommend) is a spray the engine compartment with a degreaser (i use simple green brand), lightly rub the upper areas or even scrub bad spots, than hose off with normal hose pressure. i will use a pressure washer on motors i am specifically asked to do or if i have an oily engine i have to work on, but only in a few cases.

motors and electronics are made to withstand splashing water, they are not made to withstand water coming at 1300 or more psi, and worse steam. steam is worse as it seeps into every nook and cranny and starts to damage things. it will take it's toll on everything over time and really reduces the life of electronics. if you don't believe me, just look at how much more auto companies are doing to seal/cover the electronics. some motors, etc hold up to steaming better than others.

i just don't recommend it. i know everyone above will say it's fine, but i have 24 years experience with it and have seen the damage. you see the damage more if you have the return customers or own the vehicle. parts are expensive (especially electronics) and you don't want to ruin anything if you can help it.

another helpful tip is to never, never do a german car engine. not only are the parts too expensive, they just don't do well with steaming. the motors are great (i'm and audi man) but for some reason steaming them causes problems.

just my 2 cents. :D

i have a detailing business and have for about 10 years. i have been detailing since the mid 80's. i have run a detail center at a ford/subaru/porsche/audi/mercedes/vw dealership. i personally quit using steam on engines as they added more computers to vehicles. i have regular customer still from the 80's and have seen some damage to the electronics in some of the cars. most dealerships use a high pressure washer with high temp steam and a degreaser like simple green (though usually an off brand because simple green is so expensive) diluted 3-1 with water(1 part water) or more. when it's done, they usually use clear and black spray paint to make things look perfect. the clear paint does yellow and start flaking off eventually though.

what i do now (and recommend) is a spray the engine compartment with a degreaser (i use simple green brand), lightly rub the upper areas or even scrub bad spots, than hose off with normal hose pressure. i will use a pressure washer on motors i am specifically asked to do or if i have an oily engine i have to work on, but only in a few cases.

motors and electronics are made to withstand splashing water, they are not made to withstand water coming at 1300 or more psi, and worse steam. steam is worse as it seeps into every nook and cranny and starts to damage things. it will take it's toll on everything over time and really reduces the life of electronics. if you don't believe me, just look at how much more auto companies are doing to seal/cover the electronics. some motors, etc hold up to steaming better than others.

i just don't recommend it. i know everyone above will say it's fine, but i have 24 years experience with it and have seen the damage. you see the damage more if you have the return customers or own the vehicle. parts are expensive (especially electronics) and you don't want to ruin anything if you can help it.

another helpful tip is to never, never do a german car engine. not only are the parts too expensive, they just don't do well with steaming. the motors are great (i'm and audi man) but for some reason steaming them causes problems.

:agree: Steam will go places water will never get to,I even go as far as washing engines when they are cold as not to create steam.Hot water doesnt clean any better than cold.I try to stay away from the throttle body area and the distributor a little splash is ok just don't drown them. A clean engine is a happy engine. :D

:agree: Steam will go places water will never get to,I even go as far as washing engines when they are cold as not to create steam.Hot water doesnt clean any better than cold.I try to stay away from the throttle body area and the distributor a little splash is ok just don't drown them. A clean engine is a happy engine. :D

:agree: i hate working on dirty ones. take the time once to get it clean, than keep it clean. i hate working on dirty engines. i clean mine regularly, the hard way. i like a clean engine bay. most my vehicles have dress up kits (it looks nicer and the braiding helps keeps stuff from cutting hoses. :thumbsup:

My personal favorite is to just remove all that stuff out of the way and scrub it down with Purple Power and the water hose. :D

First and last time I pressure washed an engine was my new 89 chevy truck. Took me 45 minutes to get it dried out enough to start. :doh:

:cheers:

I agree about steam and electronics and I am far from offended (I would be offended to find out that you knew steam hurt electronics and didn't post), but I am not sure if you are aware of what a scunci steamer is... (and if you do, I stand corrected or perhaps you were not addressing my post at all)

it is a dinky little hand held device that puts out a low pressure jet of steam about as big around as a pencil, you can easily avoid electronics or anything else you don't want steam getting into when using it, this is precisely why I stole it from my wife.