1999 XJ - Keyless Remote Programming

summerinmaine

Number 1 daughter got her purse stolen (again - sigh) and lost the key and the only remote for her Jeep. :doh:

She had a spare key, but just locked herself out today (AAA to the rescue). I think I can figure out which model remote to get as a replacement, but I've gotten mixed advice as to whether she can program the replacement herself without a working remote. Anyone know for sure?

And yes, the idea of getting a replacement daughter HAS occurred to me.

:D

That programming may have to be done at the dealership, but there is usually instructions in the owners manual on how to program them yourself. Look it up and give it a try...worst case is you have to go to the dealer and pay the $40 - $50 programming fee that most charge :shake:

That programming may have to be done at the dealership, but there is usually instructions in the owners manual on how to program them yourself. Look it up and give it a try...worst case is you have to go to the dealer and pay the $40 - $50 programming fee that most charge :shake:

Thanks Brent! Yeah, I was hoping to avoid a dealer charge, but I know they gotta eat too.

I'm a Jeep dealer tech, in order to program one yourself, you need both original remotes. You unfortunately will have to go to the dealer for your new remoteto be programmed. At the same time, they can erase the old remotes from the system so if whoever stole the old ones wants to get into your jeep with the stolen remote, it will no longer work. Good luck, and thank you for your half hour worth of labor that you will pay one of my brothers!!!

I'm a Jeep dealer tech, in order to program one yourself, you need both original remotes. You unfortunately will have to go to the dealer for your new remoteto be programmed. At the same time, they can erase the old remotes from the system so if whoever stole the old ones wants to get into your jeep with the stolen remote, it will no longer work. Good luck, and thank you for your half hour worth of labor that you will pay one of my brothers!!!
That's what I thought I remembered too, but I am just a parts guy so I was not sure ;)

I didn't know you could reprogram for yourself. Is that covered in the FSM?

I have a leftover remote from the '99 WJ lemon that Chrysler boiught back from me. I also have a 2000 XJ that replaced the {99 WJ. If I have both original remotes from the XJ, can I add the WJ as a third remote that will work on that vehicle?

I was under the impression that all reprogramming had to be done with the dealer's scan tool.

This is from the 99 FSM:

REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY TRANSMITTER PROGRAMMING

To program the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter access codes into the RKE receiver requires the use of a DRB scan tool. Refer to the proper Diagnostic Procedures manual for more information.

The SKIM key can be programmed with two other valid keys.

This is from the 99 FSM:

REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY TRANSMITTER PROGRAMMING

To program the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter access codes into the RKE receiver requires the use of a DRB scan tool. Refer to the proper Diagnostic Procedures manual for more information.

The SKIM key can be programmed with two other valid keys.

Yup.

The FOBs cannot be programmed except via the DRB.

Original FOB's must be programmed via the DRB, but subsequent units can be added without a DRB. The process is in the owners manual for the DIY process on FOB programming. I have done it on my 2002 Dodge Ram so I know it works. :thumbsup:

Hey Brent,

Do you remember if it was a sequence thing? Like hit lock/unlock on one, then lock/unlock on the other and it would put it in programming mode? I always had a DRB on my toolbox so I used it, but I kinda remember reading that someplace. Of course Chryco had to change things every onther year or so. program through the door module, then through the BCM, then the central timer module, then the theft module, then the SKI module :ack: :nuts:

Hey Brent,

Do you remember if it was a sequence thing? Like hit lock/unlock on one, then lock/unlock on the other and it would put it in programming mode? I always had a DRB on my toolbox so I used it, but I kinda remember reading that someplace. Of course Chryco had to change things every onther year or so. program through the door module, then through the BCM, then the central timer module, then the theft module, then the SKI module :ack: :nuts:

I'm pretty sure that the XJ does not have that feature.

aemsee, still have that DRB? I have several remote/reciever sets that I wouldn't mind getting programmed. PITA to get by the dealer for such a simple thing.

From what I've seen so far, the fobs will only work on the XJ they are programmed to, so I think that someone would have to program it specifically for your XJ/MJ.

They are mated with the RKE receiver in the dome light/overhead console, as long as you take a mated pair of the transmitter and receiver you can install them into different XJs.

I have about 4-5 receiver boards, and only one transmitter that is programmed to them(in my XJ). While they cannot be "bench" programmed, they can be programmed in the vehicle, then removed and reinstalled in another. In this fashion several could be programmed at the same time.

From what I've seen so far, the fobs will only work on the XJ they are programmed to, so I think that someone would have to program it specifically for your XJ/MJ.

They are mated with the RKE receiver in the dome light/overhead console, as long as you take a mated pair of the transmitter and receiver you can install them into different XJs.

I have about 4-5 receiver boards, and only one transmitter that is programmed to them(in my XJ). While they cannot be "bench" programmed, they can be programmed in the vehicle, then removed and reinstalled in another. In this fashion several could be programmed at the same time.

Yep...that is possible.

You are right that the DIY programming will not work on all vehicles, but it does work on many of them...I just don't know which ones for sure.

Actually have about 10 now, but they all belong to the training center :D

Well any chance you could grab an XJ and the DRB and take my sets and program them for me?

Finding the XJ would be the problem. We don't have anything older than 2008 there.

(of course if there were a couple of silverstars available for purchase :brows: :brows: )

Well any chance you could grab an XJ and the DRB and take my sets and program them for me?

Finding the XJ would be the problem. We don't have anything older than 2008 there.

(of course if there were a couple of silverstars available for purchase :brows: :brows: )

Nice? How many were there and how much did you get them for?

I could build a benchtop programmer for it, just connect to power and plug in the DRB, think you could do that for me?

I could build a benchtop programmer for it, just connect to power and plug in the DRB, think you could do that for me?

I meant get the silverstars FROM you. Aren't you sitting on 30 or 40? :yes: .

I was thinking about the benchtop idea. I think I saw a couple of DLCs kicking around in a box somewhere. Would need to power up the DRB and the reciever module, and supply bus between them. Can't remember if they talk over the CCD or the SCI bus for the program mode.

I meant get the silverstars FROM you. Aren't you sitting on 30 or 40? :yes: .

I was thinking about the benchtop idea. I think I saw a couple of DLCs kicking around in a box somewhere. Would need to power up the DRB and the reciever module, and supply bus between them. Can't remember if they talk over the CCD or the SCI bus for the program mode.

Ya I have a couple of DLCs here too(somewhere), grab a voltage regulator, spare RKE receiver connector, connect them via CCD, and you would have a nice little setup to program via the CCD.

RKE pinout:

RKE1.png

RKE2.png

What would you need the voltage regulator for? Also, another thought ( up to three I think :chillin: ). There may need to be another module on the bus to make it work. The DRB becomes a dominate node on the bus, but CCD needs two, and the RKE module is :dunno: ?