No blow

My Xj decided to stop blowing the heat into my rig on a night when it was -40 out with windchills :( . The blower only works when it wants to so i thought maybe it was the control unit(in retrospect i should of asked here first). i got a different one from the Jy. that one worked for a little bit but now my blower went out again. its not the fuse and all the connections are fine as far as i know. i was about to go buy a new blower motor but wasn't sure if that would be the reason it only works when it wants to. please help. I'm freezing my nads off out there

p.s this is a note for pete or eagle or whoever handles the emoticons. we need one with a little guy thats frozen or something :redX:

My 87 MJ does this, it is the fuse, at least in mine, the fuse itself is good, but where it contacts in the fuse box the terminals are corroded and sometimes it doesnt make good enough contact. Go out to it in the dark with a flashlight to locate it, and then shut off the light, and wiggle the fuse with your finger, it may show little tiny sparking while wiggling it and the fan will come on and go off. If this is the case, you either need to get a new fuse box, or try to clean the terminals and maybe add a touch of dielectric grease. Good luck.

Yes...that is the blower resistor :thumbsup:

Yea...that picture is pretty bad, but at least yours didn't fall apart like mine when I removed it. All of hte coils on mine had rusted so bad that when removed, they just fell in about 500 pieces all over my floor.

That's why I said this earlier...just didn't sound to me like the resistor was the issue for sure, but anything is possible.

The funny thing is that usually when the resistor goes bad, it works only on high speed...not on sometimes and off sometimes all together.

:hijack:

I got a problem up the same alley. When I turn on my vent/ac/or heater nothing comes out of the vents. The heater works but it is coming I'm through the dash and other unknown places lol :???: Any ideas on how i could at least get my vent working and if I'm really lucky my ac?

thnx, skip

Look at the firewall near where the heater hoses go through. There should be a black vacuum hose (plastic) going through and a pink one coming out going to the water valve. Be sure the pink one is hooked up to begin with, or if someone eliminated the water valve, and it is just sitting there, plug it. The black one most likely goes to a 'T' fitting on another line. Follow that both directions looking for a broken or disconnected line.

p.s this is a note for pete or eagle or whoever handles the emoticons. we need one with a little guy thats frozen or something :redX:
This do ya? Needs a black background really. You can't see the icicles hanging off his chin.

That's why I said this earlier...just didn't sound to me like the resistor was the issue for sure, but anything is possible.

The funny thing is that usually when the resistor goes bad, it works only on high speed...not on sometimes and off sometimes all together.

Usually a resistor pack failure comes from the resistors burning out, leaving the bypass wire as the only route left (the High setting). But corrosion can also play havoc in the connections. I've had both problems. It's NEVER a bad thing to replace the resistor pack is it's corroded. :thumbsup:

This do ya? Needs a black background really. You can't see the icicles hanging off his chin.

lol that works. but your right about the back ground

I got the new motor put it in(it was a little more of a pain in the @$$ than i thought it would be). went driving down the road, went over a bump and heard something that didn't sound too good :(. Aparantly i didnt have it in there tight enough and the wheel exploded into a million pices :headpop:. i got off work, got a new wheel and put it in...FINALLY i got everything working. i returned the new resistor pack i bought cuz I'm a little tight on money, the old one works fine for now.

Thanks for all the advice!!!! :cheers:

Glad to hear you are warm again :thumbsup:

I like this one myself...
lol i like that one.

how are you people putting your own on here? is it just like putting pics on here

Yea...I have a bunch of them saved in my Photobucket account to use.