What to do for my POS???

I have no idea what is going on with my 2.5l. I'm looking into swaping in a 4.0l/ax15 combo. I want to keep it as close to a Jeep as possible. I plan on running 35's in the future. Are there any write ups on swaping? I tried to search but it wount let me search for "engine swap". I don't want to run a GM engine so please just give me some info on the 4.0l.

Thanks guys. The only other question that I have is I want to keep it a 5 speed. If I get a doner it will probably be a auto. How to I tell the computer that its going to be a 5 speed? Or if I find a donor thats a 5 speed and its only 2wd, can I still use the trans and t-case, assuming its a ax-15? Or will I have to get a 4wd trans

Thanks guys. The only other question that I have is I want to keep it a 5 speed. If I get a doner it will probably be a auto. How to I tell the computer that its going to be a 5 speed? Or if I find a donor thats a 5 speed and its only 2wd, can I still use the trans and t-case, assuming its a ax-15? Or will I have to get a 4wd trans

A transfer case won't bolt up to a 2wd tranny. You will need to find a 4wd donor.

The Renix 'puter is the same whether auto or stick, it doesn't matter. But, if you use an auto harness you'll have to jump the NSS wires to get it to fire, and you'll have to splice in the backup light switch from the AX15 into the auto harness wiring. I've got the wires you need to do this to identified in my post.

You'll also have an extra TPS connector in that auto harness, which you can either ignore (it feeds the TCU that you won't be using), or you can use an auto throttle body that has the second connector. Just plug it in....it won't do anything, but it won't hurt anything either.

Jeff

A transfer case won't bolt up to a 2wd tranny. You will need to find a 4wd donor.

Does anybody know why? An AX15 was used for both 2wd and 4wd. After all a AX15 is a AX15.

The Renix 'puter is the same whether auto or stick, it doesn't matter. But, if you use an auto harness you'll have to jump the NSS wires to get it to fire, and you'll have to splice in the backup light switch from the AX15 into the auto harness wiring. I've got the wires you need to do this to identified in my post.

You'll also have an extra TPS connector in that auto harness, which you can either ignore (it feeds the TCU that you won't be using), or you can use an auto throttle body that has the second connector. Just plug it in....it won't do anything, but it won't hurt anything either.

Jeff

By renix you mean 91-96?

Negative.....Renix is '87-'90.

You can convert a 2WD Ax15 TO 4wd, but it's a fairly involved process and generally not worth it. Cost/labor wise, it's better to just source a 4WD version. They are the same transmission from the bellhousing back to the midplate, but the 2WD has a long extension housing bolted onto the back that you cannot bolt a transfer case onto. The 4WD version has a smaller extension housing bolted on with a flange to accept the transfer case. As well, the output shaft on a 2WD is much longer than the 4WD version, so you'd have to replace it as well when you tore it down to swap the rear sections. JeepCoMJ and a few others have converted 2WD AX5's to 4WD (essentially the same tranny, just a lighter duty version).....hopefully they'll chime in with the particulars on what you would need to do specifically to convert if you really want to.

Jeff

Doesn't really matter either way. Swapping a 4.0L in essentially involves gutting the entire truck, so go with which ever era presents itself first (although if you want a stick, 87-89.5 will have the inferior peugeot and should be avoided). It's more important to find an XJ in excellent running condition (except for the body of course).