Stock/Factory Overload or Helper springs?

Rough Country has both. 6104 is the short leaf part number, and 6123 is for the long leaves.

Hey Tom, do you have a AAL product for him? I know Taz and some others who have your spring packs are very happy with them, I didn't know if you offer a long AAL. Nothing against Rough Country, I just think it would be cool if phenry had the option to patronize a member here, especially since you are so low key about who you are and what you do.

Hi, Steeler,

I will check our stock tomorrow to see if we have any of the 6123 long add-a-leaves. They would be for XJs, so they would be a little shorter than a MJ leaf, but they should work. We are not really big fans of add-a-leaves, even though we do offer them, for the reasons that I have often seen here on this forum -- they have to hold up the rest of the spring pack and, because of this, tend to loose their arch after about a year. They will increase load carrying capacity, but are not really a long term solution for a lift. When we install leaves in our factory, we always re-arch the rest of the spring and fit the add-a-leaf to the existing spring pack. This makes them last much longer.

Thanks,

Tom

New leaf packs are the best (and only) way to go IMHO. Your 20 year old springs are probably shot anyhow. New metric ton springs in stock configuration will give you about 3" of lift in the rear, plus added load capacity w/o hurting the ride. They'll settle down about 1/2" in a year or so. AALs are bandaids - might do it right the first time.

New leaf packs are the best (and only) way to go IMHO. Your 20 year old springs are probably shot anyhow. New metric ton springs in stock configuration will give you about 3" of lift in the rear, plus added load capacity w/o hurting the ride. They'll settle down about 1/2" in a year or so. AALs are bandaids - might do it right the first time.

I don't know that I will ever want to go up as high as even 3" on the lift. If I have no way to do it right without doing a 3" full replacement, then the lift will just have to wait. BUT, I need shocks now, (BADLY), so I will be wasting ~$120-150 on shocks now that will be useless when I actually lift it, unless I buy shocks that are too long for stock height that will be "right" when I get a 3" lift on there.

What I want is 1.5" in the end, but there are not replacement packs that do 1.5" for the MJ. I have plans to do the ZJ V8 coils (like my boss' 00 XJ) and add an additional isolator if I need a bit more. It is the rear that has me stumped.

I have lowered a lot of cars- a LOT of cars- but this is my first time lifting anything. I see pictures of the lift thatI like (and is practical) and 1.5-2" is fine with me.

I woud love to be able to support a forum member, so if there is a way to do that and keep my budget boost at a reasonable cost, count me in.

Understand. When I said I got a 3" lift in the rear by installing new metric ton leaf packs, it was 3" over what I had before with my old springs. Suggest you do the measurement below to check exactly what you have now as compared to new stock measurements to establish a baseline. It could be you are already an inch or maybe two below stock factory measurement ride height. If you have done this already forget the above. :D

COMANCHE STOCK HEIGHT

Front: Measure from top of axle tube to underside of frame rail, inboard of the coil spring. Do NOT measure from the diff housing or shift motor housing. 2WD models should be 6-3/4" plus or minus 1/2". 4WD models should be 7-3/4" plus or minus 1/2".

Rear: Measure the vertical distance between the top of the axle tube and the underside of the frame rail inboard of the jounce bumper. 2WD models should be 8.2" plus or minus 1/2". 4WD models should be 9.2 inches plus or minus 1/2".

Hi, Phenryiv1,

I looked, and we do not have any 6123 add-a-leaves. I agree with Hornbrod, though, and, in my opinion, add-a-leaves are only a temporary fix -- not a solution. A set of Metric Tonne springs is probably what you are after.

Tom