Stock/Factory Overload or Helper springs?

I have been spending some quality time with my MJ lately, and I noticed what look like helper springs on the rear. They have a hard plastic isolator between the end of them and the bottom leaf, and they apper to be the same age as the main leaf pack.

The truck has been in my family since it was brand new. I don't remember them being added after delivery, and I have receipts for every service done to the car since 1998. There is no mention of anything like adding overload/helper springs.

Were any MJs shipped from the factory with any sort of overload spring? The truck has a long bed, so it makes sense that if any trim or package had them, it would be the LB, but I am 90% sure that I have a D35 rear as opposed to the D44 from a metric ton package.

Any thoughts from the all-knowing comanche club?

To the best of my knoledge, all comanche leaf springs came from the factory with a thick short bottom leaf. Many refer to it as as an overload spring.

CW

It looks different from these shots:

(not sure whose pics those are)

The spring is a "D"-shaped spring that is (IIRC) attached near the center pin and then close to the rear eye.

I will try to get pics tonight.

well both of those shots show 5 leaf packs which are the Metric Ton packs from the factory. if yours look different it sure sounds like an aftermarket helper spring. if the truck is original to your family, is there someone you can ask if they put on a helper spring at some point? maybe it was dealer installed when it was first bought. definitely need pics to tell for sure what it is.

Um, both of those shots show leaf packs I custom built from multiple packs. :D Neither is stock.

And yes, a picture would help immensely. :thumbsup:

i guess if i paid more attention to the photos i would have recognized the first one as your truck Pete, and would have known they weren't stock. :doh: :yes:

The spring is a "D"-shaped spring that is (IIRC) attached near the center pin and then close to the rear eye.

I will try to get pics tonight.

That description sounds like some kind of aftermarket helper spring. Maybe something like this from Hellwig??

Close- more like this: http://auto.sears.com/LEAF-SPRING-HELPE ... Id=2005985

I will take actual pictures tonight.

if the truck is original to your family, is there someone you can ask if they put on a helper spring at some point? maybe it was dealer installed when it was first bought. definitely need pics to tell for sure what it is.

I bought it from my father, who had purchased it from my grandfather. I asked my father, who had definately not done anything to the suspension. Unfortunately, there is no way to ask my grandfather, because he passed away last month.

Like I said, I have complete service records, and there is not indication of anything about suspension- not even new shock in the 94,000 miles since 1998. It could have been added at delivery, as the only thing missing is the window sticker and delivery agreement.

well both of those shots show 5 leaf packs which are the Metric Ton packs from the factory. if yours look different it sure sounds like an aftermarket helper spring.
Um, both of those shots show leaf packs I custom built from multiple packs. :D Neither is stock.

And yes, a picture would help immensely. :thumbsup:

I knew that there was little chance that those pictures were of stock packs, but I was using them to illustrate that what I have has more then the normal shape of a leaf pack.

Pics tonight! I promise!

Thanks to all for the help so far. I love this forum!

What you have are the three leaf springs with the factory two-stage leaf (the thicker one on the bottom) plus an aftermarket helper leaf added.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". Amen, CW

Definitely an add on helper spring that has been there quite a long time.

I agree, that is NOT stock!! Not a huge deal really. Someone was likely hauling something heavy and thought that they needed them.

CW

Interesting. I agree with your assessment, after really looking at them, but I have receipts for EVERYTHING- light bulbs, wiper blades, oil changes...no mention of any springs anywhere. Maybe the dealer added it before delivery.

Would this change anything about how I lift the truck? I want to add just 1-2" to help with looks (vanity, sorry!).

If you want to lift it, you really need to take those helper springs off. If you are not hauling heavy loads, they are not helping anything anyway. There is not really many ways to lift the rear of these trucks just 1-2" other than making a bastard spring pack of your own or adding a small add-a-leaf to your pack. I think the smallest lift spring made for them is 3".

I think if you find another set of springs, take the main leaf out, cut the eyes off and add it to your pack just under your main you will get what you want.

If you want to lift it, you really need to take those helper springs off. If you are not hauling heavy loads, they are not helping anything anyway. There is not really many ways to lift the rear of these trucks just 1-2" other than making a bastard spring pack of your own or adding a small add-a-leaf to your pack. I think the smallest lift spring made for them is 3".

I think if you find another set of springs, take the main leaf out, cut the eyes off and add it to your pack just under your main you will get what you want.

Not that it would be an issue NOT to leave it on there, but could I leave the helper on there and still add an extra eye-less main leaf?

I am sure you could fabricate a way to keep the helper, but why would you want too :dunno: ? Do you haul extrememly heavy loads? Those helpers do absolutely nothing unless you have a lot of weight in the truck...they do not help anything if the truck is empty or only has a light load. It would take a load of at least 600 - 800 pounds (probably more) to even cause those helpers to be active. ;)

I am sure you could fabricate a way to keep the helper, but why would you want too :dunno: ? Do you haul extrememly heavy loads? Those helpers do absolutely nothing unless you have a lot of weight in the truck...they do not help anything if the truck is empty or only has a light load. It would take a load of at least 600 - 800 pounds (probably more) to even cause those helpers to be active. ;)

My grandfather used to haul firewood. I'll bet that is why he had them.

The heaviest thing I will carry will be mulch or dirt, and only for short distances (a mile or less).

Thanks for the help!

if you really only want 1-2", you could consider a shackle lift. shackle lifts are generally frowned upon but, again, if you are only looking for 1-2" MAX (if you ever decide on more lift, you don't want that long of a shackle), they are an easy and inexpensive way to accomplish your goal. the best setup that seems to work is to pick up a pair of chevy drop shackles. you can get a pair off of ebay for $40-50. you could then do 1-2" coil spacers up front for a true "budget boost". or, you can research for budget boost kits, there are several out there. keep in mind though, as i learned from here, many of those kits say they are for XJs AND MJs but the XJ shackles are shorter therefore you will only get 1/2 the advertised lift. i.e. if it says it will lift a cherokee 2", you will only net 1". But, that could be just what you are looking for. up front, it's all the same so if it comes with 2" spacers, you'll get the true 2". a lot of people prefer a little extra lift in the front anyway to take some of the rake away, i.e. give the truck a little more level stance. And, if you really want to keep that helper spring on there for that extra bucket of mulch, it shouldn't be a problem if you go the shackle route.

oh well, there is my nickels worth, which 90% i learned from here and just regurgitate.

if you really only want 1-2", you could consider a shackle lift. shackle lifts are generally frowned upon but, again, if you are only looking for 1-2" MAX (if you ever decide on more lift, you don't want that long of a shackle), they are an easy and inexpensive way to accomplish your goal. the best setup that seems to work is to pick up a pair of chevy drop shackles. you can get a pair off of ebay for $40-50. you could then do 1-2" coil spacers up front for a true "budget boost". or, you can research for budget boost kits, there are several out there. keep in mind though, as i learned from here, many of those kits say they are for XJs AND MJs but the XJ shackles are shorter therefore you will only get 1/2 the advertised lift. i.e. if it says it will lift a cherokee 2", you will only net 1". But, that could be just what you are looking for. up front, it's all the same so if it comes with 2" spacers, you'll get the true 2". a lot of people prefer a little extra lift in the front anyway to take some of the rake away, i.e. give the truck a little more level stance. And, if you really want to keep that helper spring on there for that extra bucket of mulch, it shouldn't be a problem if you go the shackle route.

oh well, there is my nickels worth, which 90% i learned from here and just regurgitate.

I plan to do ZJ V8 front coils up front, which should give me 1-1.5" if lift, then I would like to add a leaf without the eyes, or to use a normal AAL. I can always do a shackle, I suppose. I saw that you are selling aimsee some leafs, and I would not mind having a main leaf to cut the eyes off of, but you are too far to drive to and not far enough to make shipping seem worthwhile.

I've got the same setup on the front along w/1.75" spacers. Most people will tell you if you are willing to put on a cut down main spring or even shackles that they would recommend that over an AAL due to ride quality and a short life of the spring providing any lift. That being said, there might be a 1-2" AAL out there, but the only ones I've ever seen are "advertised" as 3". The main spring as you probably know will be of the same arc and spring rate and therefore would be the best way to go IMO.

I don't know what your timeframe is, but I picked up a set of true 3" coils for my front and when spring hits will swap out the ZJ coils and pucks, so if you don't have a set yet I will be selling mine in a couple of months.

An AAL that is advertised to lift an XJ 3" should lift an MJ up about 1.5"s. If you do go aftermarket AAL, get a long one, not a short one.

My boss has an 00 XJ and wants to replicate an "Up Country" lift. He wants to use a Rough Country AAL on the rear (ZJ coils up front). Is a Rough Country a short or long AAL?