Tire Story....

So a little story...

The wife drove the MJ today... It's raining pretty good, wet roads... the tread on my TrXus STS AT's = not so good (prob 25-30%)... Wife not a good 5Spd driver anyhow...Truck slides, more than once... Nothing hit, wife calls, yells at "SW2" to complain about the crappy tires...SW2 says, "I guess we need to get some new tires..." ;)

I'd like to get 31x10.5r15 Micky Thompson MTZ's (to match the 33's on my TJ)... but I know that I'd rub like a son of a gun at full turn with my 2" Spacers and Rear Shackle drop. I don't plan on wheeling it much (or at all) until do something about the Engine/Tranny and most likely a "real" lift. So for putzing around town and the occasional time the wife takes it to work could I live with 31x10.5's without lifting? Eventually I want to get a new 4.0L, maybe convert to Auto (yah-yah I know) and get a 3-3.5" Lift to fit the 31's better...

I've been looking for some WJ LCA's which I think would help, but so far no luck in finding anything cheap (or at all for that matter).

Thoughts?

Sw2

31X10.5 BFG AT's, you'll be fine. Minor rubbing on the LCA's at full lock in the front, but you can adjust the steering stops to eliminate that. Or, I've got a set or two of WJ CA's in the parts pile somewhere you can use.

Jeff

31X10.5 BFG AT's, you'll be fine. Minor rubbing on the LCA's at full lock in the front, but you can adjust the steering stops to eliminate that. Or, I've got a set or two of WJ CA's in the parts pile somewhere you can use.

Jeff

We need to talk...

Back might be fine, but only until you flex the rear suspension. When flexing the rear the top inside of the stuffed tire will hit the inside fender wall.

This will even happen with 30x9.50 on stock 15x7 wheels (5.75" backspacing?). It did to me anyway, but only on an RTI ramp.

31X10.5 BFG AT's, you'll be fine.

Jeff

Worst tire I ever owned. I used them temporarily as they came on the wheels that I wanted, but they had no traction in sand (we have a lot of down here) and they would slide terribly on wet roads as my wife yelled at me for ;) . They were nearly brand new too... :nuts:

I think you will be OK with the 31's for the way you use it for now...especially if you get those LCA's, but you will have to deal with a little rubbing regardless.

Is this the only write up?

http://gojeep.willyshotrod.com/HowtoWJcontrolarms.htm

Looks like bending the mounts, cutting and re-welding, or trimming the LCA are the options and or steps?

sw2

Brent... I ran BFG AT's for a couple years on my TJ... had no complaints other than they were 31" and I wanted something bigger...no probs with wet traction or the easy offroad trails that I did with them on.

I guess I am just used to very aggressive tires. I have not run anything but Swampers and Xterrains for years now so a street tire like the BFG AT just doesn't have what it takes for me ;)

But isn't a much more aggressive tire worse in the sand?

I know what you mean with Sand around here though... Pretty much all my offroading has consisted of fairly deep sand trails. My Kelly Charger 235/70/15's did pretty well considering they are more street orientated. :thumbsup:

Yes...the Swamper TSL's were terrible in sand, but my Swamper TrXus MT's do great. The ProComp Xterrains do well is sand too, but those BFG AT's just plain sucked :dunno: .

Sorry... I'll stop now :hijack:

Brent, where were you when everyone was jumping on me for saying I didn't like BFG A/T's in the snow!! :fs1: . I actually gave away an almost new set cause I couldn't go anywhere in the snow unless I was in 4wd. Of course you would,nt know anything about that snow stuff :D

Ok, take it from someone who lives in the Pacific NW (its know to rain here a little bit) and has run the BFG AT’s on the DD for years… They do great in the rain, and do well in the snow. For some reason they suck in the sand, it’s like they just want to dig in. Sorry Brent, I usually agree with everything you say…

I realized that I'm running BFG' AT on my Tahoe and they are 1000x's better than the OEM Firestones or whatever... Great in the rain we have and did just fine towing the TJ on a trailer in the snow last winter and again in a couple weeks.

BUT, if i'm spending $150 a tire for new tread for the MJ, I want someting that looks a little more agressive and will eventually be useful when I get to take it offroad... I like my MT MTZ's and think they would look great on my MJ and be great on and offroad...

I was more concerned about the Size than I was the type...

SW2

I am a long time supporter of the BFG tires. Both the AT & the MT.

I have always found the AT to do everything I asked of it exceptionally well. Even did good a couple times I was running up in the woods turkey hunting and had a couple really greasy muddy spots. I made it to the top!!

I had a set of 33's that I ran a while on my TJ and later on a Ford PU. I put maybe 20,000 total miles on them when I sold them I sold them to a buddie who put them on his Dodge PU. He HATED THEM... I literally took them off the Ford and put them on his Dodge. Same rims, same tires, VERY simular trucks, both SB 4X4's w/sb V8's. They worked perfectly for me one week, the next week he said he didn't get traction in the rain????? Go figure, I can't......

I like them, I buy them. They have been my #1 choice for better than 20 years.

CW