New Newbie

Eagle

Greetings, MJ people --

A few of you will have already encountered me on the NAXJA forums. Don't know why it took me so long to find out that this forum existed. I was planning to start up a dedicated MJ forum myself, never had time, so I'm happy someone has saved me the trouble.

Lemme see if I can reconstruct how many MJs are currently in the fleet. I just sold an 87 to a fellow NAXJA member, but it was quickly replaced (much to my wife's dismay and displeasure). I think the current roster goes like this:

'86 2.5L 5-speed 4WD longbed -- blown tranny

'86 2.5L 4-speed 2WD longbed -- runs well, needs TLC

'87 4.0L 5-speed 4WD Pioneer shortbed -- the one I plan to restore

'88 4.0L 5-speed 4WD Chief shortbed -- some of you have seen this at NAXJA events

'88 2.5L 4-speed 2WD SporTruck shortbed -- probably to be restored after converting to 4WD

'89 4.0L 5-speed 2WD Pioneer longbed -- rough but runs well, blown tranny, will likely convert to AW4 as a work truck.

I think that about sums it up. I'm an MJ fanatic, and until y'all decide you just can't tolerate me any longer I'll be happy to help with any tech info I have to share, in exchange for which you get to hear me bytch about how MJs are so rare that you really shouldn't be chopping them up into trail machines -- there are LOTS of XJs you can use for that purpose. (The exception is if you rescue an MJ out of a scrap yard. Even using it as a trail beater is better than having it crushed. That's how I came to own the '86 2WD 4-speed.)

Many thanks to whoever set up this forum.

Glad to have you here, Eagle. From my experience on NAXJA I can honestly say I won't bore of your expertise.

Guess I'm gonna have to join NAXJA, to be an official member of the Midwest Chapter.

MUHAHAHAHAAHA! We really are everywhere!

Hey, I've got an 87 Pioneer, so we might becoe buddies, as I need lots o knowledge. :)

CUrrently figuring out what to do with the puguet tranny. I think the syncros between 1,2 and 3 are pretty much shot. And the clutch throwout bearing or the input shaft are making noise. I'm leaning towards the input shaft, the tranny heats up something wicked.

This is what I did to my Peugeot:

I made little trophies! Seriously though, if topping off the fluid level doesn't help, start looking for that AX-15. The Peugeot is notoriously hard to take apart, expensive to fix, and rarely lasts very long after even a complete rebuild. My theory is that the case deforms over time (or from abuse) and so after all the new parts are installed, the case is still deformed and it's only a matter of time before something goes BANG. I'm basing that theory solely on the incredibly weak looking case though, no actual measurements and data.

Jeep on!

--Pete

well it's been determined that I do in fact have an AX-15. I just also have the AX-15's odd shifting between 1st and second.

I changed the tranny fluid today, it certainly seemed better.

I still hear an odd noise whenever the clutch is out. I first thought it was the throwout bearing, but I'm starting to suspect the input shaft bearing more and more. THe sound of the noise changes based on wheel speed. I can coast the truck down a hill in gear with the clutch in and I hear the noise, so it must be something in the Tranny.

I'll have to split them to find out. hopefully I can put a new input shaft bearing in the tranny without taking it apart, but I doubt that. I got the AX-15 service manual, so I've got to look that over. It's PDF if anyone wants a copy just head over to pirate4x4 and download it.

Greetings, MJ people --

A few of you will have already encountered me on the NAXJA forums. Don't know why it took me so long to find out that this forum existed. I was planning to start up a dedicated MJ forum myself, never had time, so I'm happy someone has saved me the trouble.

Lemme see if I can reconstruct how many MJs are currently in the fleet. I just sold an 87 to a fellow NAXJA member, but it was quickly replaced (much to my wife's dismay and displeasure). I think the current roster goes like this:

'86 2.5L 5-speed 4WD longbed -- blown tranny

'86 2.5L 4-speed 2WD longbed -- runs well, needs TLC

'87 4.0L 5-speed 4WD Pioneer shortbed -- the one I plan to restore

'88 4.0L 5-speed 4WD Chief shortbed -- some of you have seen this at NAXJA events

'88 2.5L 4-speed 2WD SporTruck shortbed -- probably to be restored after converting to 4WD

'89 4.0L 5-speed 2WD Pioneer longbed -- rough but runs well, blown tranny, will likely convert to AW4 as a work truck.

I think that about sums it up. I'm an MJ fanatic, and until y'all decide you just can't tolerate me any longer I'll be happy to help with any tech info I have to share, in exchange for which you get to hear me bytch about how MJs are so rare that you really shouldn't be chopping them up into trail machines -- there are LOTS of XJs you can use for that purpose. (The exception is if you rescue an MJ out of a scrap yard. Even using it as a trail beater is better than having it crushed. That's how I came to own the '86 2WD 4-speed.)

Many thanks to whoever set up this forum.

Eagle, both Judy's parents passed. Mom passed this April. So, I haven't had anymore trips up thru Connect-a-dot in awhile. We should meet up again when Turkey time comes. Judy and I go up to eat T-day dinner with her remaining cousins on the cape.

Best,

Deano

I had put the mobil 1 syntehtic in it, but was told that was no good. I was going by what I had read in a manual, but then found out about a misprint. So I've drained that oil out of the tranny, and I put it in the diffs. wasn't going to waste $30 in oil.

I put regular dino 80-90W in it, I don't have anyplace that has the MT-90, so I've ordered it, but had to have it shipped ground. So it should be here next week sometime.

I'm pretty sure my 2nd and 3rd gear syncros are toasted. I've been looking at rebuild kits and thinking about doing it myself.

I started a thread in the tech forum