Rear End Problem -- Not Medical

A new guy with an old question. 89 MJ 4.0 5spd 4WD My rear differential (Dana 35 3.07)lost a tooth on the ring gear. I removed the tooth gave it fresh juice and got another two months out of it.I have located many diffs(D35s) that won't work, one that would ($300), but it's trashed, gotten bids from $760 to $1200 to repair same and read enough postings to cause severe eye strain and dead butt syndrome (DBS). The other thing I've got is questions. 1) Is the D35 a P.O.S.? Why? 2) Is it worthwhile to try to do anything with it? 3) If not, which diff.(s) would be the best candidates to mount new spring perches and shock mounts on? (I,m not interested in changing ratios at the moment) The answers to these questions are probably in several places on this site, but I'd like to see the discussion all together, all at once.

Yes...those questions are answered here MANY times ;) .

Welcome to the Club :cheers:

The D35 is trash...don't put another penny in to it. It has weak tubes, weak shafts and small ring & pinion.

Find a D44. You can find them in some XJ's and I am sure you can get one for less than $300. The D44 is much stronger. All you would have to do is put the spring perches under the axle and in the right places...install shock mounts and you are good to go.

I don't think I would be interested in trying to help if it was medical :ack: :doh:

The primary weakness of the Dana 35 is the point where the axle tubes enter the center section. It's weak, which allows the tubes to flex relative to the diff housing, and that puts eccentric loads on the shafts and bearings that they weren't designed to carry. It's a perfectly adequate axle for street use and light to moderate 4-wheeling, but not strong enough for handling big tires with lots of articulation.

Obviously, the best replacement axle would be an MJ D44, followed by an XJ D44. Other possibilities include a Chrysler 8.25 from an XJ (96 and earlier being less desirable than 97 and newer). And then there's the Explorer 8.8.

If the rest of your axle is okay, I may have a 3.07 ring gear here that I could send you. How's the pinion in your diff?

Dana 35s from just about any Jeep can work, you'll just need to get new perches burned on in the proper location. :thumbsup: I wouldn't pay much for a 35 though. Maybe a hundred. Now might even be a good time to get a pair of axles with 3.55 gears and get a better gear raio too. :D

Please post up your location!!

Same as eagle I have sets of gears you could HAVE!!

I also have a complete, good D35 w/3:55's out of my MJ. We could work out a deal MUCH cheaper!! I even have a lock rite for it if your brave! :brows: :no: :yes:

Let us know,

CW

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the long pause. I had to take a 10 day break for a near fatal head cold. I have now thought I had this problem solved three different times but each solution hasn't worked. By the way I'm located on the front range of the Rocky Mountains in Colorado. So far I've found a D. 44 with a 3.55 ratio and a D. 35 with a 3.07 ratio, 88,000 miles(really), both out of Cherokees. That brings up the question of the spring mounts; one source has told me that the difference is simply over sprung and under sprung. Is that correct, does the side to side position of the springs stay the same or are they different between the Cherokee and Comanche? By the way the third option presented itself on eBay with a person of obvious mental instability wanting $300 for the right rear end with the right gear ratio out of a 90 MJ of unknown mileage, but he doesn't want to ship it out of Pennsylvania! By way of explanation, in the West we tend to drive long distance and need the gas mileage more than power. Thoughts and comments?

I would get the 3.55 Dana 44 and never look back. Then I'd locate a matching front axle (they are everywhere since it was the most common ratio in XJs).

Jeep should have never used the 3.08 ratio. I got better mileage once I swapped to 3.55s in my 88. :cheers:

Get one with a higher ratio in it already and it pays itself off.
Actually...a lower ratio is what is desired ;) :cheers: . 3.55 is higher numerically than 3.07, but it is a lower gear ratio.

I know what you mean, but I'm gonna disagree.

3.55:1 is a greater ratio than 3.07:1 (bigger difference in numbers). Maybe I'm wrong here.... either way, we're on the same page.

Just so were keeping this straight, the terminology is:

-lower numbers are referred to as a higher gear ratio

-higher numbers are a lower gear ratio

The terms "greater" and "bigger" are not used (and are confusing my poor brain). I didn't invent it, it's just the way it is. :cheers: