Project Swamp Yankee UPDATE: 36" TSL SX

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice find man :bowdown:

Ya, I'll be running the D35 until I regear the 44. The rear end and to control arms were really my only worries with this truck, so between the D44 and ordering my adj. control arms, I won't hesitate to romp this thing jamminz.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Well... I had a hell of a time out in the woods this Friday. We had a bonfire way in the back of some friends land, so he and I were running people back in forth in the Jeeps. (All this with 2wd and an open D35...EEKS)

And now it is time to rebuild a good portion of the Jeep. I've been enjoying driving it too much to do anything major to it. But my girl leaves for Italy thursday, so I'll have the time to do some serious wrenching :cheers:

Plans are:

All new MOOG balljoints

Full set of RC adj. control arms

CB install

Rear bumper

AW4 and 231 swap

New exhaust (Thrush 3")

Roll Bar/headache rack/lights

Tire carrier/can holder

Replace lost swaybar disco :fool:

On board air

Swap in radiator from XJ (only 6 mo old)

Fix/modify e-brake bracket

And possibly regear and swap in the D44 if I have the money.

The D44 might have to wait until next month.

Stay Tuned!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments guys.

I've got some tricks up my sleeve for the headache rack...still undecided. But the basic idea should be pretty simple.

Started pulling the tranny this morning...hoping to get the 2wd aw4 out after lunch. I'm still waiting on my control arms too :fs1:

I'll throw some pics up tonight.

Holy bajeebus, it's been a little crazy here lately....any way, here are some pics, b/c no one likes to hear me blabber.

Front bumper on, 4x4 swap done....waitin for new front lift/balljoints

Image Not Found

NP231 and AW4 in and fully functioning

Image Not Found

Front DS slip joint at ride height

Image Not Found

Rear DS at ride height...running a 5spd rear shaft to compensate for the lift...took up about 3/4 in, should be perfect after the D44 swap

Image Not Found

Rough Country adj lowers...uppers are on their way, along with 6.5" coils

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Started on the main hoop for my "bed thingy"......its top-secret for now, but I'll post pics as soon as it is done.

I also got the pass side balljoints done...driver's side was supposed to be done tonight, but I went and picked up a FREE 6 foot plow!! jamminz.gif

Pics if it ever stops raining here. Out of the 22 days of June, we've had rain for 18. looks like we have atleast 3 more days until we see a good day too. Kill me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Time for a general update on life/jeeps. abbreviated versions....haha :typing:

Got a new job! Engineering tech at an automotive filtration company. Last day of work at the Farm for the MJ:

Checked out a a friend's leaf spring XJ on 37's:

Bought the front axle from his Jeep for $50...it's a 297 joint HP D30. (still has sticker on it!!)

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Got to pulling my axles to swap in D44 and 297 D30:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

A few weeks prior, my brother MACKED a rock with the front dif. Didn't seem like a big deal at the time.

Spider is eaten up on the long side, but gears still look great.

Wheeled it for a test drive:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

And thats about all for now....any questions, ask and I'll type the long versions.

Also got new sneakers for the DD in there at some point.

285/75/R16 Procomp All-Terrains.

I know some people have mixed feelings about procomp, but so far, I love the tires. I have about 2k miles on them, driving upwards of 50mi a day now on the highway. I just towed a 5000lb camper 250 miles each way this weekend, and they still rode smooth and predictable. I would definately buy another set without a doubt. And the best part? I got them on the buy 3 get 1 free sale. $560 for three 33" tires?!?! Can't beat it.

• 2 months later...

Fell thru some ice...

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Went wheeling with my buddy in his XJ

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Found a Ram Charger

Headed to a mudbog that night...the after math.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

• 1 month later...

35x12.50. Did awesome in the snow. They just dig through until they get traction on whatever is under it. Did beat on the Jeep a bit harder than I should have, though, getting both the front and rear axle hopping numerous times. Scuffed up the side lugs on all four tires pretty good. Surprised all my shafts and u joints survived.

After extensive cutting I still have to bump stop running 35s. I imagine you'll have to bump stop extremely aggressively with those.

Looks great, though.

You are correct. Heavy sheetmetal removal and big bumpstops are in my future. Long arms are in process and I have a few ideas for the rear too. Looking to go with 80% down travel and 20% up. We'll see.

oh i just saw that you got new tiers. what size?

36x12.5x15 TSL SX on 15x8's....poor mans beadlocks haha. I like the look so far though.