anouther lifting question

I don't even think Clayton makes a lift kit suitable for the MJ and I have no idea as to the quality of the kit itself (if there is one :nuts:) Motion Offroad makes a great 4.5" kit for comanches and their quality is very good. It is more on the expensive side, but it will pay off as it will last for years and years. And I think if you mention your a member here you might get a discount as well. I think.

As to the hardness of putting on a lift kit if you've never done it before, it can be a little daunting at first but if you read the instructions and learn where things go before putting them on you shouldn't have too much trouble (knock on wood :D ).

Clayton's long arm kit is absolutely top drawer. Rock Krawler's kit is okay, too, I guess, but certainly no better than Clayton's. Once you suggest having the installation done by a professional, I don't see how the Rock Krawler kit could be any less work than Clayton's.

The welding is the attachment of the new control arm mounts to the frame rails. The old control arm mounts have to be cut off, otherwise the new arms would hit them as the suspension works. The new mounts go on the section where the rear half and the front half of the uniframe rails nest together, so there's a double thickness of metal there to weld to. It's not a difficult weld, but you ARE dealing with the part that keeps the wheels under the Jeep, so you want it done by somebody who knows how to weld. This is not the project for learning how to use the new welder. Save that for a rear bumper, or mailbox post.

I have installed the RK kit. It was a realitively easy install. You will need a 1/2, and a 3/4 Drill bit. It too does require some welding. Nothing extreme but the frame sleeves need to welded in. Also you will need a right hand drill to make it easy to drill the inside of the frame.

You also need to drill a hole in the uCA mount on the axle for a grease fitting.

On the rk kit.. You can prepare everything before it is time for the swap... then swap everything over.

With basic tools and all the needed tools this could be done in a day, on the front. Depending on how you are lifting your rig.. a weekend is all it would take.

When I installed mine.. I welded my brackets to the frame too, cause I know how abusive I am to my equipment

I live 3 miles from Clayton Off-road and have seen them in action. Their suspensions are rock-solid and over-built. I've seen their suspensions abused repeatedly for years without failure, and they offer ridiculous amounts of flex. If I had the money and the need for a top-notch suspension, I'd go with the Clayton kit.