6.5 in lift

I am new on this site. I have a 91 comanche. I am puting a 6.5 in lift on with SOA in the rear. My question is do i need to use a slip yoke eliminator kit or can i just get the right angle when doing the SOA and get a longer driveshaft? also what other modifications need to be made with this big of a lift? do i need to use a drop pitman arm. I have upper and lower control arms, adjustable track bar, brake lines, and 6.5 coils.

The drive shaft is long enough that you don't need to use a slip yoke eliminator, although having one does have a few advantages, like being able to take the rear drive shaft out without losing transfer case fluid, or running a drive shaft with an slip joint in the middle (which is actually needed, not optional, when using a SYE,) taking care of drive shaft length issues.

Do NOT use a drop pitman arm, as this will cause the drag link and track bar to not be parallel causing bump steer. On top of that it adds enough stress to the steering box that it may actually cause the frame to fail in that area.

It sounds like you pretty much have everything you need, except for longer shocks. You may find the ride a bit harsh with the steep angle on the control arms, which can be helped with drop brackets or a long arm kit, but you'd have to decide for yourself if you need them or not. They both have advantages and disadvantages. A longer drive shaft may or may not be needed. I currently run 4.5", but have enough travel in my rear shocks to allow the axle to move up (from weight in the bed) far enough that a longer drive shaft, even 1/2", could cause internal transfer case damage. A SYE would take care if this.

Good luck and don't forget to start a project thread with lots of pictures, before during and after.

Ok thanks. i forgot to mention i do have longer shocks too. I rebuilt my AX-15 and getting ready to put everything back in and if it was a necessity i would do the sye it while i had the transfer case out but i guess ill try it how it is and see how it works. and will I be able to clear 35x12.5in tires?

35 will not fit without trimming the fenders. I believe even with 33s you may have to do some (minimal) trimming on the front. It might be okay sitting on flat ground, but when flexing the suspension while having the front wheels turned, or even leaning out of a turn on the street you may have issues at the front of the front fenders.

Ask 89eliminator to be sure, as he runs (used to run?) 6.5" lift, 33" tires, but no cutting that I know of.

Why do you feel the need for 34s or 35s? It's only 1/2" or 1" more ground clearance respectively. Not exactly a deal breaker out on the trails, but that extra inch makes a world of difference in the MJ's wheel wells.

that extra inch makes a world of difference in the MJ's wheel wells.

X2

I'm on 35's at about 6".....you need more than "trimming" in the front, trust me. I've trimmed, and rub just pulling in/out of my driveway :rotfl2:

Next step for me is to pull the flares and cut the fenders up to the flare line. Reinstalling the flares is an option I haven't decided on yet.

Jeff

that extra inch makes a world of difference in the MJ's wheel wells.

X2

I'm on 35's at about 6".....you need more than "trimming" in the front, trust me. I've trimmed, and rub just pulling in/out of my driveway :rotfl2:

Next step for me is to pull the flares and cut the fenders up to the flare line. Reinstalling the flares is an option I haven't decided on yet.

Jeff

Hey I will trade you some at's or mt's for them 35's you have.

As for why run the bigger tire.... well they are bigger :smart: :dunno: Some times it only takes an inch to make a difference. If you want to keep the uncut look and remain with intact fenders.. don't go to 35's. All the same proper bumpstopping can and does prevent fender rubbing. You just have to decide do you want up travel.. or fenders :???:

I'm thinking that post was directed at me......Pat and I have an ongoing parts swap-athon been going on for the last couple years down here in VA :yes:

If you do go to 35's, stay with an 8" wheel....part of my problem is that I'm running 15X10's with minimal backspacing (like 3" or so). I have full steering lock-to-lock, but they sure don't stuff well (read: at all) in the front.

Jeff

My fenders are starting to rust around the flares especially in the rear so alittle trimming would help me get rid of some of the rust. I was told by someone else to run a 10 in wide wheel and not an 8. so which is gonna be better for 12.5 wide tires and if i do decide to go with 35's? I was looking at either the soft 8 or the D-window for wheels and i think they have 4 in for backspacing.

Generally tire manufacturers recommend a 10" rim for 12.5" tires. Minimum is 8.5" wheel as per manufacturer, and if you're only going to be driving it on the road I would go with that. But off road you want to be able to lower the pressure without popping the bead, and everyone that responded to my question when I asked a few months back recommends an 8" wheel.

I got a D35 in the rear with 4.10 but i have it out right now to do the SOA so I'm trying to find a 44 or a 8.8 to swap in. and a D30 up front which i bealive has 3.07 gears, not to sure but the previous owner just put a newer D35 in the rear that had the 4.10 in it with all new bearings and everything. So i need to switch the front gears to match the rear. 4x4 doesnt work because of the different gear ratios. anyone know where i can pick up a cheap 44 or 8.8 with 4.10s or lower?

so your saying it would be easier to find an diff with 4.10's rather than just changing out the ring and pinion?

Used XJ d30 with 4.10's should cost around 100-200. To buy the gears 125 and install kit 105, plus labor to install them. So buying the axle with the gear you want is adviseable in this situation. Also the 8.8 can be found in 4.10's with a LSD their prices range from 150 on up... but don't pay more then 350 if you ask me, and that is if it is in GREAT conditon.