V6 2.8 to Camaro 3.4?

As noted, the 'X' was '86 only. The 2.8L V6 was a dog of an engine, but if the body is reasonably solid, IMHO any MJ is worth $100. You can always buy a junkyard Camaro 3.4L and swap it in ... the block is the same, so it's an easy swap to a much better engine.

I saw Eagle's post as above on another thread and was wondering just how easy the swap is? Does the Camaro block fit straight onto the OE gearbox? Would it really be worth the trouble when my current 2.8 V6 runs so well?

Thanks for the advice :cheers:

The Chevy 2.8 in your truck and the Chevy 3.4 out of a Camaro are the same block with different insides. Should be a straight bolt-in.

More hp, more torque, better fuel economy. Is it worth it to replace a perfectly fine 2.8? I don't know. I do know the 2.8 makes just barely more torque and less hp than the 2.5l 4 cylinder.

The Chevy 2.8 in your truck and the Chevy 3.4 out of a Camaro are the same block with different insides. Should be a straight bolt-in.

More hp, more torque, better fuel economy. Is it worth it to replace a perfectly fine 2.8? I don't know. I do know the 2.8 makes just barely more torque and less hp than the 2.5l 4 cylinder.

OK, thanks mv, I'll have a look into the Chevy 3.4 availability then. If a good one comes up I can always dry store it until the 2.8 starts wearing out :cheers:

The primary "issue" to be aware of with the 2.8L to 3.4L swap is that the 2.8L is externally balanced. That means there is a weight on the outer edge of the flywheel or flexplate. The 3.4L is completely internally balanced -- no bobweight on the flywheel. If my recollection is correct, you have to use the Jeep flywheel, so you will have to take it to a machine shop and have it "neutral balanced" for use with the 3.4L engine.

Wow. I saw you post in another thread about your camper, but had no idea you were doing it with a 2.8, that's impressive..... I put a longblock sbf in my truck when 2.8 equipped and it threw a fit.
I have lots of patience

:yes:

The primary "issue" to be aware of with the 2.8L to 3.4L swap is that the 2.8L is externally balanced. That means there is a weight on the outer edge of the flywheel or flexplate. The 3.4L is completely internally balanced -- no bobweight on the flywheel. If my recollection is correct, you have to use the Jeep flywheel, so you will have to take it to a machine shop and have it "neutral balanced" for use with the 3.4L engine.
Thanks for the info, I'll do my homework before taking any action :thumbsup: