fuse box question

this fuse box is a total wreck. the fuses are good but the parts that grab them seem to be missing or broken, plus it's just plain grody and corroded. the Q is : is this a plug and play thing ? can i change it out without too much hassel? all my elecrical probs seem to come from there and today it was the heater/wipers/signals and brake lights. they all seem to b on the same fuse !------ on a lighter note , i heard the radio for the first time today - (for a while).

this fuse box is a total wreck. the fuses are good but the parts that grab them seem to be missing or broken, plus it's just plain grody and corroded. the Q is : is this a plug and play thing ? can i change it out without too much hassel? all my elecrical probs seem to come from there and today it was the heater/wipers/signals and brake lights. they all seem to b on the same fuse !------ on a lighter note , i heard the radio for the first time today - (for a while).

yes, it can be done. No its not simple- but it can be done with enough time and patience.

If theres clips missing, check the inside portion for burns- if it shows any melting, toss it.

thank you , - and welcome to the club ! - i see you joined today. ----- time and patience costs $80./hr so i was hoping for "click,click" . lol.

if i grab one from an XJ , does this mean i have to splice it all up wire for wire?

electrical is definitely not my forte.

yes, it can be done. No its not simple- but it can be done with enough time and patience.

If theres clips missing, check the inside portion for burns- if it shows any melting, toss it.

its not too bad, i had to replace the harness in my 92 with one from an XJ. There is some splicing; the MJ has one cab connector, the XJ two; so wires need to be moved. And one more from the brake pedal into the steering column. If you end up going this route, i can help out with some pictures and wiring diagrams.

boilermaker -thanx for that--- yes , i get that part now - ive never had a dash out and not looking 4ward to it but with some help i may b ok -its for my '89 and really , - the only thing wrong is the box itself needs to be fixed/replaced so it seems an awful shame that it requires so much hassels - but , oh-well ........

i have to go out of town in morn for a few days and when i return the snow will be gone and i will dive into it and do some recruiting (lol)

thanx again , shawn.

(all other replies greatly appreciated).

what about changing the box with one from an XJ of the same year? splicing wire for wire. would this give me a good start and simlify this job?

should i be thinking about by-passing the fuse panel altogether for wipers and heater ( and a few other things) ?

My plan for my 90 was to just remove the stock fuse box and splice in an aftermarket unit. Hasn't happened yet and likely won't until spring so I can't comment on how easy/hard it might be. I have to imagine that a similar year XJ box would be the easiest fix (keeping in mind that there really isn't an "easy" fix).

Make sure you add inline fuses if you wire anything separately. :thumbsup:

well....... i have that aftermarket panel under the hood for hooking up other electrical goodies so i could use that 4 some things. - i have been talking to parts guys and my newest hope is to find a fusebox from a truck thats the same year, engine size, and tranny.

having said that - i will ask here ( and in classifieds) - what i need is a fuse box (with as much wire hanging out as possible) from and '89 , 4.0, 5 spd comanche (4x4).

i think that covers it for details, unless i'm issing something. H E L P !

I've got an entire in-cab harness from an '89 MJ, 4.0/AW4. I pulled it from the same MJ I pulled the underhood harness from when I did my 2.5->4.0 swap a couple months ago in case I needed it, but ended up not having to use it. There is no difference between the harnesses manual versus auto.

If you're interested in it shoot me a PM. I'll let you have it for what I paid for it from the junkyard, plus the ride to get it to ya :cheers:

Jeff