Thinking about buying a Grand Wagoneer

Darren

I'm looking into getting a FSJ. What I really want is a Grand Wagoneer, a later model in real good condition. This would be my primary vehicle, (keep in mind I drive a company truck to and from work). I'll use it to haul people and do some occasional towing. I'll be modifying it of course, but hopefully I'll be able to keep this one more mild. Anyone have any input? Any FSJ guys out there?

FSJ is a great idea, strong axles, big v8.. i picked up my 1984 j20 with the 727 tranny and the AMC 360 good strong engine.

my dad had a baby blue waggy when i was a little kid that thing was a beast. FSJ's are the most over looked vehicle to build

up there solid.

I had a '78 full-size Cherokee. Terrific truck. Back then they were a little short on "creature comforts" but it was reliable and unstoppable. I always felt I could just idle up to the side of a building and just push the building out of the way any time I wanted. Mine was a 4-door, my brother had a 2-door. We both used them for plowing.

Worst thing about it was the gas mileage. Mine was a 2-barrel. L'l bro's was a 4-barrel and he got better mileage.

The 360 AMC is a great engine, and if you get a 2-bbl you can easily put on a 4-bbl manifold and an Edelbrock AFB carburetor to get better performance and better mileage. There was one or two years (maybe 1979 and/or 1980?) when they also offered the FSJ with a 401 engine. If you're looking at towing and can find one of those -- grab it.

Lastly, before buying put it up on a lift and CAREFULLY inspect the frame. Every single inch of the frame, not a quick "yep, looks good thanks bye" inspection. A few years back I stopped at the dealership for some parts and I was surprised to see a Grand Wagoneer being winched ONTO a flatbed. Being a curious type, and having owned a "sister ship," -- I asked. The deal was, it came in for an exhaust, and when they put it on the lift they couldn't open the doors. Inspection showed that there was so little frame left that it wasn't considered safe to drive it, even to a welding shop two miles away. So they had it trucked to a shop in town that specializes in frame repair and plating. (Not chrome plating -- plating with extra layers of steel for reinforcing.) The frame is the weak spot on the FSJs.

I had a '78 full-size Cherokee. Terrific truck. Back then they were a little short on "creature comforts" but it was reliable and unstoppable. I always felt I could just idle up to the side of a building and just push the building out of the way any time I wanted. Mine was a 4-door, my brother had a 2-door. We both used them for plowing.

Worst thing about it was the gas mileage. Mine was a 2-barrel. L'l bro's was a 4-barrel and he got better mileage.

The 360 AMC is a great engine, and if you get a 2-bbl you can easily put on a 4-bbl manifold and an Edelbrock AFB carburetor to get better performance and better mileage. There was one or two years (maybe 1979 and/or 1980?) when they also offered the FSJ with a 401 engine. If you're looking at towing and can find one of those -- grab it.

Lastly, before buying put it up on a lift and CAREFULLY inspect the frame. Every single inch of the frame, not a quick "yep, looks good thanks bye" inspection. A few years back I stopped at the dealership for some parts and I was surprised to see a Grand Wagoneer being winched ONTO a flatbed. Being a curious type, and having owned a "sister ship," -- I asked. The deal was, it came in for an exhaust, and when they put it on the lift they couldn't open the doors. Inspection showed that there was so little frame left that it wasn't considered safe to drive it, even to a welding shop two miles away. So they had it trucked to a shop in town that specializes in frame repair and plating. (Not chrome plating -- plating with extra layers of steel for reinforcing.) The frame is the weak spot on the FSJs.

Thanks Eagle, but over on this coast, for a 20 or 30 year old vehicle rust is never an issue. I'll be looking at getting as late a model as I can find. Something with a real nice interior. I'll run the 360 for awhile but later down the road I have diesel plans for her. :evil: