Can you tell what this is?

Calling all experts,

I'm looking at a Comanche for sale some distance away from me. I've gotten some photos from the dealer, but they're not of the best quality. Certainly not as good as a personal inspection, but it's a bit far away for a casual inspection. Anyway, I was hoping someone could identify what this is, circled in red below? I'm not really sure what it could be, first inclination is some part of the exhuast? It looks like something broken off at the end, but I'm not familiar enough with these to know what it could be (I'm familiar with the AMC 258 and engine bay of an Eagle 4x4 but not the MJ). Speaking of the exhaust, the muffler is hanging by some wire and doesn't appear to extend any further back, and there's some obvious rust under the floorboard.

I have some more pictures here. It looks like there was a front-end collision of some kind that forced the bumper in and buckled the fender. The exhaust system is hanging by a thread, at best (pun intended?). Some dents in the usual places, clearcoat almost gone on the roof, and some rusty sections will need to be repaired... but still, the frame looks incredibly clean. There doesn't appear to be rust in any of the places that would indicate problems.

Can you guys lend any insight? It's a 92, 4.0, 5-spd, longbed 2wd with 100k miles. Fair market value seem to be about 1400-1800 which is what I told the guy I spoketo about it. I think if they're willing to sell it in that price range it'd be a worthwhile purchase.

it's nothing to worry about...that is just the inside part of the transmission crossmember mount. there's two mounting locations, for different engine/transmission applications...the factory just provisions for either/or so the bodies are interchangeable.

that piece is nothin to worry about but damn you better expect to have to put full floors in that thing. Its pretty crispy underneith and like stated the rust is inside the unibody which might only be from the floor falling apart and into the inside of the rails like most. It deffiently needs some work before I would drive it. I don't know the price but I hope its dirt cheap

that piece is nothin to worry about but damn you better expect to have to put full floors in that thing. Its pretty crispy underneith and like stated the rust is inside the unibody which might only be from the floor falling apart and into the inside of the rails like most. It deffiently needs some work before I would drive it. I don't know the price but I hope its dirt cheap

yup. keep in mind that a 92 is rarer than most, being the last year made and a high output.

that's an ax15 with an np231and a 4.0.

it needs an exhaust and floors at the very least. any body rust-through (i.e. floors) and it's automatically worth $1000 or less IMHO...but hey, as wahoo would say, I'm from wisconsin...

yup. keep in mind that a 92 is rarer than most, being the last year made and a high output.

it needs an exhaust and floors at the very least. any body rust-through (i.e. floors) and it's automatically worth $1000 or less IMHO...but hey, as wahoo would say, I'm from wisconsin...

Really? Where? :hmm: :nuts:

Really? Where? :hmm: :nuts:

Well.........Jeepco did say he's from Wisconsin........... :teehee:

That's not too bad of a '92 MJ-

Pro's -

Last year of the MJ

Has the factory trailer hitch, which could be the "towing" package, which could = D44 rear axle.

Full gauges, sports wheel.......nothing else on the interior.

Under 100K on the clock (if that's the original gauge cluster?)

Con's -

Totally stock 2wd

Stock steel wheels

Rear end sags........alot.......bad leaf springs??

Bench seat is in bad shape.......picture #8 seat is sagged.

Of course the fender bender.......not too bad (XJ front fender, and bumper for replacement)

Picture #14 shows engine oil leaking (tie rods should not have oil on the exterior)

Dealer selling it :roll:

Typical clear coat pealing.........Needs a new paint job.

Underside of floor has been noted above.

And yea, the exhaust is shot, all of it.

Would like to see some pictures under the hood

And the price range your talking about..........Yea, if you could jump in it and go, with 4wd, but that MJ needs some work done to it.

Top price I see........$800 - $900.

Price I would pay.........$500, then spend about $1500+ to get it back in shape, and looking good.

And that's my 2 cents ;)

Thanks for the input guys. I was talking to the guy selling the truck yesterday on the phone as I looked through all the pictures, and mentioned a lot of this to him. At the time I hadn't noticed the after-muffler exhaust missing; that won't pass inspection in RI so it definitely needs to be replaced, depending on how the cat is it'll be at least a cat-back replacement. The floorboards did look bad and I figured I'd have to replace them soon, but from what you're saying it's more like ASAP.

Despite the cons, there are several definite pros to this truck. It certainly seems worth saving, and fairly easy to make into a great truck that will last for years. The dealer is supposed to send me some more photos today. I've got some more ammo to negotiate with, so we'll see how things go. If I can get them to a reasonable price I think I'll go for it. I'm hoping their desire to get it off the lot quickly will work in my favor too.

btw....

sticker price is $2850 :rotf:

I think you should just wait for something else to come along. There is no way a dealer is going to come that far down from their sticker price. Besides, by the time you tow it home your spending even more money. You can find something ALOT cheaper and in much better shape.

I think you should just wait for something else to come along. There is no way a dealer is going to come that far down from their sticker price. Besides, by the time you tow it home your spending even more money. You can find something ALOT cheaper and in much better shape.

X2 :agree:

That's probably what will happen. I won't pay more than $1400ish for it, and they were supposed to call me back again today and send some more pics but they haven't so I'm guessing they'd rather try to screw someone else and get more money for it.

I'm still hunting around, it'd be nice if I could find something closer and a 4x4.

sticker price is $2850 :rotf:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I was not misleading you in any way not to "Save" this MJ, but not at that price.

Look at it this way, if.....IF, the dealer is representable, they would not even show you a vehicle with the exhaust hanging on electrical wires. They would spent the $300 and replace the entire exhaust from the header to the exhaust tip, at least with the proper OEM style exhaust parts. They might not spent the $$ to repair the fender, or the floor rust, or clear coat pealing, or very little detailing, but a 'major' safety/performance item........Yea.

I mentioned above what I would pay, and approximately what I would put back into this to bring it back to a reliable running vehicle. Add that up, and your about at what there asking for this MJ in the condition it's sitting in. To take it off the lot at that price, and then add additional money into it to get it on the road and not have future problem would really be cost prohibitive.

If the dealer will not flex on there asking price, I'd say move on, and look else where, and as you wrote, yes, you can find a much better MJ with 4wd that is in road ready condition for about the same money or even less.

f the dealer will not flex on there asking price, I'd say move on, and look else where,

After I got the first batch of photos I spoke on the phone with one of the dealers; we talked for a while about the condition of the truck etc (all good from their point of view of course) but anyway before hanging up I said that the fair market value of the vehicle in "GOOD" condition is around $1400-1800 and I wouldn't be spending more than that. He said he'd talk to the manager blah blah sales BS, but he did later email me more pictures even knowing there's no way I'd pay close to what they're asking.

They got the vehicle as a trade-in for something, so I'm guessing they didn't spend a lot on it. If they were more of a "newer car" dealer I think you'd be right in saying they should fix the exhaust, but with a name like "Cheap Heaps" I think they are just interested in flipping it.

If they are reasonable in their prices I'm very tempted. One of my good friends runs a body shop so labor to get floorboards replaced and sourcing out replacement parts isn't cost prohibitive. As long as the purchase price is realistic I'm happy to spend some money after to get it in nice shape. I'm looking for a vehicle that will last years, not just a winter beater (unless that's all I can find), so I'm going into any purchase knowing I'll need to spend some extra money on it.

and as you wrote, yes, you can find a much better MJ with 4wd that is in road ready condition for about the same money or even less.

Trust me I'm looking!