dana 35 question

i ask a lot of questions on here. but i love the info on here. so i tried the search and couldnt find anything with the info i was looking for and i know this has probably been beat to death

You guys all swear up and down to not use my stock front diff. So what i was wondering Where can i get a dana 44 that will bolt in. Or just re welding mounts etc. with same bolt pattern. What vehicle would i look for. Is there any jeep that comes stock with one\?

Thanks for any info given Please don't flame for noob question :)

If it had 4 10s stock that wouldnt hurt anything now would it :) i am planning on re gearing and i have a 44 rear in it already

Your front will be a D30, not a D35.

Who says to get rid of the D30? With very little mod's the D30 is a fairly solid axle that's able to handle 35's pretty easily. For the $$ you'll have in putting a D44 in the front you can build a sick D30 with a locker and chromo shafts....

I hate D30s, but I have to agree... The problem lies in the rear with the D35. It is truely not worth a damn thing.

Agreed...If you have a D44 rear, all you really need to do is beef up the front D30 a little and you are good to go. I am running 35's on our YJ with the stock D30 and have never had to change even a u-joint on it yet. I have broken the u-bolts a time or two and replaced the wheel bearings, but the axle is really a lot more dependable than most people give it credit for.

haha you guys are awesome. Great information.

So i have a d44 in the rear. What do i need to find for gears in Both front and rear. For 4.10s ? like What vehicle could i pull them out of. And if not i might buy gears but the carrier i wouldlike to find a decent one for the ratio. what trucks should i look for in the junkyard?

The Jeep set up that came with 4.10 gears is a 2.5L 5 speed, but you don't want to take gears out of an axle and install them in another. Once gears are installed and have meshed it is not possible to get them to align in the same manner again and they will likley be noisy as well as prone to fail much sooner than they should. if you are going to find a donor, you should use the complete axle assembly. If you find axles with 4.10's, you could always take out the internals, use the carriers and install new gears & bearings. :thumbsup:

If it was me... and unless I could install gears myself.. I would run stock axles with the ratio I wanted. Since you want 4.10's just find a stock axle with them in it. Running used gears ( I do) is really only for ppl who use their rigs as trail rigs, or who install gears, or have buddies that do and give great deals.

If I was going to buy gears, I would look at what my end goal was for the rig and save for the needed parts. Remember new gears price vary very lil between 4.56 and 4.10's if any. You will need a new carrier for the front, and for the rear you can get "thick" gears or a new carrier and gears.

Keep in mind install kits are around a 100 bucks an axle. Normal labor can be up to 350 an axle (unless you have a buddy who does them). So if you come across a deal where you can buy a set of axles all ready built sometimes that is the way to go.

Alloy USA sells rear chrom axles with all the needed crap for under 300. Fronts expect to pay around 600 for alloy usa's shipped. Upgrade the front shafts to 30 spline if you are changing to an aftermarket locker. For the rear... you can upgrade to 33 spline shafts... but 30 splines live well with moderate to abusive wheeling.