Where is the water getting in?

Not long ago I posted a question about water getting in the cab and wetting the passenger side carpet.

I had already checked many possible sources, to no avail. I then checked all the good suggestions, also

to no avail. Recall I had stated the floor to be in great shape, and by appearance it was. The MJ floor

is liberally factory coated along the front and side with a past-like sealant, often quite thick. I decided

to peel away the sealant in the corner where floor joins inner sill and guess what I found. Voila, the

water source. Really ugly! Now who's got repair suggestions?

Image Not Found

Not long ago I posted a question about water getting in the cab and wetting the passenger side carpet.

I had already checked many possible sources, to no avail. I then checked all the good suggestions, also

to no avail. Recall I had stated the floor to be in great shape, and by appearance it was. The MJ floor

is liberally factory coated along the front and side with a past-like sealant, often quite thick. I decided

to peel away the sealant in the corner where floor joins inner sill and guess what I found. Voila, the

water source. Really ugly! Now who's got repair suggestions?

Image Not Found

If you don't have the facilities or abilities, you are going to need someone with some good welding & sheet metal skills. That is a tough spot to repair and I don't know if the floor pan replacements that are availble will cover that or not. Check out Team Cherokee's (I think is where I saw them) website for floor pans.

If you don't have the facilities or abilities, you are going to need someone with some good welding & sheet metal skills. That is a tough spot to repair and I don't know if the floor pan replacements that are availble will cover that or not. Check out Team Cherokee's (I think is where I saw them) website for floor pans.

Well, I have neither the abilities or facilities to weld. My initial plan was to first neutrailze the corrosion, then swab the inside with POR-15, then tack a fabricated piece over the hole, then POR-15 over that. Interesting in that the inside is where the damage is, but underneath you can hardly tell. It's as if the side seam between floor pan and inner sill separated, then the front tire splash over the years invaded that gap. If truck had mudflaps, this probably would not have happened, at least no so bad. Wish the Jeep folks knew more about metallurgy and protective finishes back then.

Well, I have neither the abilities or facilities to weld. My initial plan was to first neutrailze the corrosion, then swab the inside with POR-15, then tack a fabricated piece over the hole, then POR-15 over that. Interesting in that the inside is where the damage is, but underneath you can hardly tell. It's as if the side seam between floor pan and inner sill separated, then the front tire splash over the years invaded that gap. If truck had mudflaps, this probably would not have happened, at least no so bad. Wish the Jeep folks knew more about metallurgy and protective finishes back then.

Thats right at the rocker isnt it? You might be able to get a can of Great Stuff (a can of expanding foam) and a longer tube to fit the supplied tube and squirt that junk into your rockers. As far as I know it doesnt hold moisture and when it expands and cures, cut the excess off, then put some high grade seem sealer (the stuff you scraped off) over any exposed areas. Warning..... Great stuff is VERY sticky and messy........(were some latex gloves or youll be picking that crap off your hands for weeks)

one more thing,, they make this stuff called Tiger Hair. Its a body filler (bondo) that has fiberglass strands mixed into it that you can replace the metal with.. Not the best choice but I've done it before on rusted rear quarters and rockers when the owner don't want to come off the hip and have it done right..

I'm still left wondering how the water got there in the first place??? :hmm: