pop-up MJ camper/bed

thanks summerinmaine.

basically, (and don't take this personally) my problem is that the drop-ins are all WAAAAY too big for our trucks and make them look like crap, IMHO.

I also need to be able to wheel with this...and a camper such as yours effectively turns my rig into a fullsize width, so tight trails aren't possible, and it's top-heavy...I'm trying to keep the weight low and the width narrow.

that's why I want to build my own..

thanks summerinmaine.

basically, (and don't take this personally) my problem is that the drop-ins are all WAAAAY too big for our trucks and make them look like crap, IMHO.

I also need to be able to wheel with this...and a camper such as yours effectively turns my rig into a fullsize width, so tight trails aren't possible, and it's top-heavy...I'm trying to keep the weight low and the width narrow.

thanks summerinmaine.

No offense at all. Different strokes, and different priorities. I haven't the slightest concern about how my rig looks, just how it functions for its intended purpose. The CG is certainly higher, but not as high as you might expect. And in desert travel, tight trails are almost never an issue for me.

Have fun with the project.

thanks summerinmaine.

No offense at all. Different strokes, and different priorities. I haven't the slightest concern about how my rig looks, just how it functions for its intended purpose. The CG is certainly higher, but not as high as you might expect. And in desert travel, tight trails are almost never an issue for me.

Have fun with the project.

:hijack:

summerinmaine:

I want to know the story behind your Dakar decal.

No real story. When I bought the truck, the PO had yellow forest service magnetic decals on it, from his work. I wanted to get highly reflective decals with an image of the Baja peninsula, but came up empty. From my MC riding, I knew of a guy in the UK who made these in small sizes (3-5"), and he agreed to do a one-off 12" set for me.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread. :yes:

:hijack:

summerinmaine:

I want to know the story behind your Dakar decal.

No real story. When I bought the truck, the PO had yellow forest service magnetic decals on it, from his work. I wanted to get highly reflective decals with an image of the Baja peninsula, but came up empty. From my MC riding, I knew of a guy in the UK who made these in small sizes (3-5"), and he agreed to do a one-off 12" set for me.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread. :yes:

Pat, it would be WAY easier to just pull a pop-up camper.

But he said he wants to wheel with it.

I wouldn't even pull most pop-up trailers on a Baja road, let alone try to wheel with one. My buddy uses his Ram 2500 Diesel to pull a trailer carrying pit gear, and it is the biggest PITA once we get into the gnarly stuff.

I wouldn't even pull most pop-up trailers on a Baja road, let alone try to wheel with one. My buddy uses his Ram 2500 Diesel to pull a trailer carrying pit gear, and it is the biggest PITA once we get into the gnarly stuff.

which is another thing i don't get. why do want all that extra weight? the only thing i could see it even remotely useful for is if you went on some long cross country vacation into the mountains and such. imo, this is a huge waste of time and money.

which is another thing i don't get. why do want all that extra weight? the only thing i could see it even remotely useful for is if you went on some long cross country vacation into the mountains and such. imo, this is a huge waste of time and money.

Are you asking me or the OP? I don't want to hijack his thread again.

Are you asking me or the OP? I don't want to hijack his thread again.

I'm asking Mr. Pat

I'm asking Mr. Pat

Well, he said in the OP that he doesn't like spending money on hotels, and hates tents, so if he's going out on multi-day trips, I'm not sure how many other alternatives there are, that would also fulfill his stated priorities.

Of course, he could always get himself one of these:

jamminz.gif

But I think he's aiming for something more like this:

kea_oz_4wdpoptopcamper_400.jpg

I say go for it,,, just don't make it all ghey looking.. You going to make it tall enuff to walk in?? And what about the pooper station?? You going to put a holding tank under the bed? If you could just get big enuff telescoping poles you could put four at each corner and make the roof a tunel (spelling??) cover, so when you drop it, the sides can just fold in and it'll look like you just had a bed cover on. Oh yeah don't forget to get you an AC unit to slap on the top! jamminz.gif