pop-up MJ camper/bed

I'm leaning towards ditching the bed on my 87 swb MJ, because I worry about denting up such a nice bed...

instead, I'm going to use the box from the 87 on the 3800 (which is a longbed), and extend the cab with 2dr doors then shorten the rear of the frame to fit, and end up with an extended cab comanche with a nice box. that frees up the longbed to go on my dad's diesel, and I have a OEM bedside for the longbed.

so

I don't want to flatbed the 87...that's just too plain, everyone does it. Going off of that, I don't like to spend $$$ on hotels, and I hate tents. so, I'm thinking of making a popup camper bed for it.

planning on using a sheetmetal break to bend 5.5' long bedsides from 1/16" or 1/8" thick steel panels, to keep the factory body lines, and making it so that one bedside extends out (rather than having a fold-out bed-section). then I'd have the main top mounted on four telescoping posts (of some sort...haven't figured that out yet) that are either pneumatic, or cable driven...I'd use a small 2klb ATV winch and set up a pulley system to lift the masts at equal rates of speed.

have a tent section made for the slide-out section, and develop some sort of seal setup for it to keep water from seeping up through the bottom.

this would all be based off of a tube box with panels mounted to it. I'd put my cargo on top of the box and hopefully set it up so that I can still see out of the rear window. the other main concern is making this somehow tie in and be structural...I'm caging the inside of the cab and the front of the body, but have no real plans for the back other than this.

does anyone know of a similar project, or have any input on it, ideas on what to do/how to do it when it comes to this type of project? I have access to a tube bender with 1.5" and 1.75" dies so that's no problem...

also, I'm trying to figure out how to keep the weight down too.

Sounds like an interesting project. However, I don't know how to accompish it. A few years ago I was looking for a pop-top, slide in camper shell for an MJ. At the time I only had a SWB and the pop-tops I found were for a LWB, so I never pursued it.

I think the power winch for lifting is perhaps overkill. I don't think the commercial pop-tops use power. Maybe a manual crank. But ... I've never been in one, so I don't honestly know.

This is what I had in mind:

http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/ranger.html

I used Google to find that ^^^. First hit was a link to plans, which might be helpful to you:

http://www.vintageprojects.com/misc/pop ... shell.html

Sounds like an interesting project. However, I don't know how to accompish it. A few years ago I was looking for a pop-top, slide in camper shell for an MJ. At the time I only had a SWB and the pop-tops I found were for a LWB, so I never pursued it.

I think the power winch for lifting is perhaps overkill. I don't think the commercial pop-tops use power. Maybe a manual crank. But ... I've never been in one, so I don't honestly know.

I used Google to find that ^^^. First hit was a link to plans, which might be helpful to you:

thanks Eagle,

but my goal is to have this sit lower down inside the box...I'm trying to compact the whole thing to literally the size of or smaller than a popup camper, set on the back of the MJ frame instead of the box.

the only reason I'd use the atv winch is because I want to be lazy. It would be nice to just have an up and a down button, and 4 lock pins. just pop it up, then grab whichever side I want to slide out, and pull it out 4'.

I'd think of having the slides for the pop-out side be built from tubular steel, with grease zerks at various points to keep them working well.

the topper doesn't have to be something I can stand straight up in either...I'm okay sleeping in cramped quarters so long as it doesn't leak, and I can get it warm.

I'd put a small grille inside of it, or outside, and a fridge/cooler, but other than that just a bed I think.

thanks Eagle,

but my goal is to have this sit lower down inside the box...I'm trying to compact the whole thing to literally the size of or smaller than a popup camper, set on the back of the MJ frame instead of the box.

the only reason I'd use the atv winch is because I want to be lazy. It would be nice to just have an up and a down button, and 4 lock pins. just pop it up, then grab whichever side I want to slide out, and pull it out 4'.

I'd think of having the slides for the pop-out side be built from tubular steel, with grease zerks at various points to keep them working well.

the topper doesn't have to be something I can stand straight up in either...I'm okay sleeping in cramped quarters so long as it doesn't leak, and I can get it warm.

I'd put a small grille inside of it, or outside, and a fridge/cooler, but other than that just a bed I think.

Mine fits on my SWB truck. I'm sure most have already seen it, but here's a recent shot:

423988550_Dnh7H-L.jpg

And here's the low-profile look:

423989470_vojBf-L.jpg

The weight is a factor, but increased wind resistance is negligible.

And yes, it uses a hand crank, but I think that's because it has a canvas extension section. I understand that Alaskan hard side campers and the like use power or at least hydraulic lifts.

I've just about finished re-doing all the systems in my Skamper, so if anyone has any questions about these little guys, feel free to ask.

Mine fits on my SWB truck. I'm sure most have already seen it, but here's a recent shot:

423988550_Dnh7H-L.jpg

And here's the low-profile look:

423989470_vojBf-L.jpg

The weight is a factor, but increased wind resistance is negligible.

And yes, it uses a hand crank, but I think that's because it has a canvas extension section. I understand that Alaskan hard side campers and the like use power or at least hydraulic lifts.

I've just about finished re-doing all the systems in my Skamper, so if anyone has any questions about these little guys, feel free to ask.

It hardly needs to be said, but be very careful about using a grill INSIDE.

JeepcoMJ,

Do I understand correctly that you want to take the bed off the MJ?

You might want to take a look at some of the small, older Coleman tent trailers. Back in 1982 I purchased a small Coleman with a box that was only about 6' 10" long. Dry weight of the trailer was 890 lbs. Hand crank to raise the top, but an electric motor was an accessory. Get rid of the axle and the tongue and you are rid of quite a bit of weight. Had a built in 3 burner stove and a built in sink. Slept 6 in a pinch. I have seen these for as little as $500 here in Southern California. You should be able to find them cheaper where you are.

If I were to do this, I keep the two fold out wing beds and make sure the wing bed would roll out just over the cab. That would let you keep the dinette up all the time. Any extra space under the former truck bed could be used for water storage or for the extra battery. Heck, I would mount a 2 KW Honda invetor generator - only 49 pounds and quiet as a mouse. Not sure what I would do for the propane tank? Under the truck bed I suppose.

Honda Generator would be the most expensive part of this. You can get the 1 KW generator for less money (I have one), but I would go with the 2 KW if I had to do it again. Or do without the generator and save $7 -1200

Good Luck

JeepcoMJ,

You might want to take a look at some of the small, older Coleman tent trailers. Back in 1982 I purchased a small Coleman with a box that was only about 6' 10" long. Dry weight of the trailer was 890 lbs. Hand crank to raise the top, but an electric motor was an accessory. Get rid of the axle and the tongue and you are rid of quite a bit of weight. Had a built in 3 burner stove and a built in sink. Slept 6 in a pinch. I have seen these for as little as $500 here in Southern California. You should be able to find them cheaper where you are.

If I were to do this, I keep the two fold out wing beds and make sure the wing bed would roll out just over the cab. That would let you keep the dinette up all the time. Any extra space under the former truck bed could be used for water storage or for the extra battery. Heck, I would mount a 2 KW Honda invetor generator - only 49 pounds and quiet as a mouse. Not sure what I would do for the propane tank? Under the truck bed I suppose.

Honda Generator would be the most expensive part of this. You can get the 1 KW generator for less money (I have one), but I would go with the 2 KW if I had to do it again. Or do without the generator and save $7 -1200

Good Luck

JeepcoMJ,

Good Luck

yup, I want the bed off the truck. but, I want the new "bed" to be the same width as the body is while driving down the road, and it would be nice if it followed the same contours as the truck too, so I'm pretty hellbend on building my own.

currently, I'm thinking about finding a junk pop-up and use the masts from it, then do quite a bit to it otherwise. I want to build a base platform for it (pretty much a flatbed) then build off of the base. I'd probably use the center section of a factory tailgate and set it up with a fold-down stairs built into that.

I need autocad...

yeah, I was thinking electric for that fact. thanks :D

JeepcoMJ,

Good Luck

yup, I want the bed off the truck. but, I want the new "bed" to be the same width as the body is while driving down the road, and it would be nice if it followed the same contours as the truck too, so I'm pretty hellbend on building my own.

currently, I'm thinking about finding a junk pop-up and use the masts from it, then do quite a bit to it otherwise. I want to build a base platform for it (pretty much a flatbed) then build off of the base. I'd probably use the center section of a factory tailgate and set it up with a fold-down stairs built into that.

I need autocad...

yeah, I was thinking electric for that fact. thanks :D

Sounds like you know that there would be cheaper and easier ways to end up with a camper, but I agree that building one of your own is a unique and worthwhile endeavor. Go for it.

But keep in mind that the designs of pop-ups (like mine and the tent trailers) have been around for >50 years, and undergone continual revisions to overcome originally unforeseen problems. So when you set out to reinvent some of the wheels, careful study of the "pop-up solution" and careful thought (and auto-cad) might help you avoid adopting a design solution that was tried years ago and found wanting via the crucible of real world experience (especially with multi thousands of examples in use).

In addition, you might think about buying a used pop-up just to gut it for parts and appliances. Frex the 2-way or 3-way refer, if it's working well, could cost as much used ($4-500) as an entire trailer. And, BTW, Dometic refers have a much better reputation for reliability and performance than the "Nevercold" (though mine has been fine). Plus you will probably want a furnace (mine is 17K BTU) and all the associated exhaust ducting, as I understand that warmth is an issue for you (it isn't for me, so I've never even tried mine out). And this is an area where conventional design wisdom would probably be sound, but a new solution could involve unforeseen (and potentially disastrous) problems. An electric heater is not necessarily a great alternative, due to power consumption and attendant battery drain issues.

Have fun!

Sounds like you know that there would be cheaper and easier ways to end up with a camper, but I agree that building one of your own is a unique and worthwhile endeavor. Go for it.

But keep in mind that the designs of pop-ups (like mine and the tent trailers) have been around for >50 years, and undergone continual revisions to overcome originally unforeseen problems. So when you set out to reinvent some of the wheels, careful study of the "pop-up solution" and careful thought (and auto-cad) might help you avoid adopting a design solution that was tried years ago and found wanting via the crucible of real world experience (especially with multi thousands of examples in use).

In addition, you might think about buying a used pop-up just to gut it for parts and appliances. Frex the 2-way or 3-way refer, if it's working well, could cost as much used ($4-500) as an entire trailer. And, BTW, Dometic refers have a much better reputation for reliability and performance than the "Nevercold" (though mine has been fine). Plus you will probably want a furnace (mine is 17K BTU) and all the associated exhaust ducting, as I understand that warmth is an issue for you (it isn't for me, so I've never even tried mine out). And this is an area where conventional design wisdom would probably be sound, but a new solution could involve unforeseen (and potentially disastrous) problems. An electric heater is not necessarily a great alternative, due to power consumption and attendant battery drain issues.

Have fun!

:hijack: Hey Summertime... Would you get me some pictures of your tie down hooks on the side of your bed?

Don't have any pics of the hooks directly (and the rig is currently stored remotely), but here's one I took to show the "beverage assistant" that I installed, and it shows the hook in side view. I should think that they are a pretty standard design for the swing-out hook type. Mine is a T section that swings out of the attachment receptacle.

317147228_9qMPe-L.jpg

:hijack: Hey Summertime... Would you get me some pictures of your tie down hooks on the side of your bed?

Don't have any pics of the hooks directly (and the rig is currently stored remotely), but here's one I took to show the "beverage assistant" that I installed, and it shows the hook in side view. I should think that they are a pretty standard design for the swing-out hook type. Mine is a T section that swings out of the attachment receptacle.

317147228_9qMPe-L.jpg

BTW I just saw an ad for a SWB camper just like mine in the local CL. Asking price was $2K IIRC which perhaps seems reasonable until you consider that I paid @$3K for my entire rig. I've seen them offered for a lot less.

BTW I just saw an ad for a SWB camper just like mine in the local CL. Asking price was $2K IIRC which perhaps seems reasonable until you consider that I paid @$3K for my entire rig. I've seen them offered for a lot less.