Transmission Mount Question

I have a driveline shudder in the MJ and strongly suspect the 20 year old transmission mount. I did some research and found a picture of a couple of mounts-thanks to Jim of RI!

Can someone tell me which mount I need for my MJ? It has the 5 speed Peugeot transmission with the 4.0 engine and is 4WD.

The local Jeep dealer quoted me $43 for the smaller one on the left (PN: 5200 2334) and $275 for the larger one on the right (PN: 8350 5567).

Take yours out and inspect it. If the rubber spacer is intact but has collapsed (compressed) vertically, just put it back in and shim it with a couple or three washers on each bolt. Bottom line, though -- if it hasn't collapsed far enough that the exhaust pipe is resting on the cross member, it probably hasn't collapsed enough to be causing any problems.

The only other source I've seen for the BA-10 tranny mount is from Team Cherokee-

http://www.teamcherokee.com/Transmission/index.html

Bottom of the page.........For $95.

A little less that the dealer :roll:

I don't think I have a "good" one on hand right now........but others' here might.

BTW.......the tranny mount for the AW-4 and AX-15, the one on the left in your picture, can be bought thru Rockauto for about $18.

Before you run out and buy the transmission mount, get under the truck, and use a long pry bar between the mount and the cross member, and pry up on the transmission mount, to see if it spreads, most of the ones I've seen bad, are torn, or the rubber is separated from the steel plates, then you'll know if replacement is needed.

There is a guy in Oklahoma that sells jeep parts on Ebay, "Mustang" something or other on Ebay. You may have to look around on Ebay. I think I paid 79.00 for mine. It was identical. freight would be kinda high as weight is around 5-6 lbs. Wish I could tell you exact name but its been 3 years or so. Any BA-10 mount will work I think. Anyone got a Cherokee with a BA-10/Peugeot that can confirm?

Peugeot is such a PIA to spell.

Try Glen in Bethany Oklahoma he has a new one in stock for 85.00 and freight is 7 lbs. His number is 405-789-5715. Cheapest freight in this area is Fed Ex green but I'm not sure if he uses them. but I'm sure he uses UPS. No insurance needed as it is auto covered up to 100.00

James and Sugarfoot

1988 Pioneer 4.0 4x4

Austin TX

Today gas was 1.39 a gallon, but had no place to go.

This question is more for Eagle, but if anyone else has experience with mounts, please chime in.

The exhaust pipe was making contact with the cross member so I went ahead and disassembled the cross member and removed the transmission mount. The rubber piece was not torn or otherwise compromised, so I’ll assume it was compressed.

Eagle, I assume you suggested to add washers to the 4 bolts on the mount that mate to the cross member. My only concern with that fix is that the mount will not have its entire surface area in contact with the cross member-only the diameter of the 4 washers will be in contact with the CM.

Is that correct? Am I missing something else here?

The bottom line is that I need to put it back together before Monday morning, so there is no harm in trying the “washer method” because if it doesn’t solve the problem, I’ll just buy a replacement mount and install it next weekend.

Yeah, I suppose it could be the exhaust pipe making the noise. I replaced all the u-joints a while ago so they should be fine.

I've been thinking about this all night and instead of using washers, I'm going to cut a flat piece of metal that will cover the entire surface area of the plate and drill 4 holes in it for the threaded rods. This should extend the bracket enough to give the exhaust pipe some clearence.

Yeah, I suppose it could be the exhaust pipe making the noise. I replaced all the u-joints a while ago so they should be fine.

I've been thinking about this all night and instead of using washers, I'm going to cut a flat piece of metal that will cover the entire surface area of the plate and drill 4 holes in it for the threaded rods. This should extend the bracket enough to give the exhaust pipe some clearence.