sbc cooling with stock rad questions

ok so I'm gona prob run a 3 core xj rad to keep the sbc in mine cool, just wondering if 2 stock electric fans would keep it cool? the motor will be stock so i duno if that matters. I'm pretty sure they run in the same temp range as a 4.0. also, was there a rad. that had a spot for an overflow bottle? still havnt figured that part out.

Running at the same temperature (or wanting to) is not the issue. The issue is that a SBC generates more heat than a 4.0L, and has less space around it in the engine room to allow some of the heat to dissipate. I've only seen a few SBCs stuffed into Cherokees, but they ALL had cooling issues -- even the one with a custom aluminum radiator that was supposedly "guaranteed" to do the job.

The '91 and newer "open" radiators (the ones with a neck for a radiator cap) have provision for an overflow bottle.

Mine keeps pretty cool with the stock 2.8 rad and a 17 inch Spal fan. I do have to park and cool down every now and then when the temp outside gets above 90deg. I think LeBaron Hood vents will help alot with that though.

hmm interesting. I'm not worryed about heat since my MJ doenst havne front fender wells anymore and ill be running a cowl hood to clear the motor. possum,what rad hoses did you use?

2X. I'm having the same problem trying to get a hose for my 87 camaro v8 motor swap.

I think you might be okay. As added insurance, add an external oil cooler, but mount it some place other than in front of the radiator. And add some water wetter to the coolant for better heat transfer. If you run headers, get ceramic coated ones to move the exhaust heat out the tail pipe rather than into the engine compartment.

I think you might be okay. As added insurance, add an external oil cooler, but mount it some place other than in front of the radiator. And add some water wetter to the coolant for better heat transfer. If you run headers, get ceramic coated ones to move the exhaust heat out the tail pipe rather than into the engine compartment.

good suggestion. if you can't afford ceramic headers like myself, exhaust tape will work good enough.

I actually used a couple different hoses for the bottom. I took two bends and connected them with a piece of steel tube and hose clamps to get the angle I needed. The top one if I remember correctly was the stock one from the van that the motor came out of. That is all I can remember at this time.

The 2.8L died (thank goodness) at the end of the 86 model year.

yeah its a crap motor. worst motor ever from GM... to my knowledge

Your (lack of) age is showing, Grasshopper.

GM actually did have an even worse V6 engine. I don't remember the displacement, but it was introduced in the original Buick Skylark back in the early 1960s. And, in a clear demonstration that those who do not learn from the mistakes of history are doomed to repeat them, GM sold THAT engine to Jeep, too. My brother had a CJ-5 back around 1972 that had that engine in it.

the use of a stock 4.0 rad is not going to be enough to keep the sbc cool

when off road. onthe highway it should be fine. i tried a three core one a little larger than a stock v6 one and it would idle all day or while moving faster then 25. wheelin was a very different story though... even with a mechanical fan and shroud plus an electric fan as well as a custom cowl induction hood it would not stay cool. the only way i can guarantee it will stay cool is to put the rad in the bed. This is exactly how i fixed the problem on my cheromanche.

there is just not enough room up front for a large enough radiator to keep a sbc cool.