Oil Specs?

What are the oil specs (viscosity) on my 1986 2.5L 5 speed 4X4?

Front and rear axle?

Manual Transmission?

Transfer case?

I think or I know I :wall: put the wrong oil in my transmission and I want to upgrade to royal purple oil.

So what do I need?

What are the oil specs (viscosity) on my 1986 2.5L 5 speed 4X4?

Front and rear axle?

Manual Transmission?

Transfer case?

I think or I know I :wall: put the wrong oil in my transmission and I want to upgrade to royal purple oil.

So what do I need?

Front and rear axle? ==> SAE 80W90 or 75W90 GL5 gear oil (Newer spec is 75W140, that was not the spec in 1986 but better if you use it hard or tow)

Manual Transmission? ==> 80W90 GL3 gear oil (Note: The GL3 is important if you have the AX-5 tranny, because grade GL5 has too much sulper and it eats the synchronizer rings)

Transfer case? ==> ATF

Can you even find GL-3 anymore? Those kids at NAPA look at me like I am a dinosaur when I ask for GL4 and it takes a couple of days for them to get it. I don't think they have a clue what it is.

Maybe not. That may be why the factory switched to motor oil.

I wish someone would figure out if that new Pennzoil Synchromesh lube would work in the AX-15 and AX-5 trannies. I called Pennzoil when it first came out, and their engineer told me that lube was formulated for the NVG 3500/3550 and 4500 series transmissions. He didn't know what would happen if you used it in an AX-15 and he didn't care to speculate (at least, not to a customer -- wise man). I rather suspect it would work just fine, but I don't have a spare AX-15 to throw under the bus as a test specimen just in case it doesn't work just fine.

Has anyone tried the stuff?

Can you even find GL-3 anymore? Those kids at NAPA look at me like I am a dinosaur when I ask for GL4 and it takes a couple of days for them to get it. I don't think they have a clue what it is.

Maybe not. That may be why the factory switched to motor oil.

I wish someone would figure out if that new Pennzoil Synchromesh lube would work in the AX-15 and AX-5 trannies. I called Pennzoil when it first came out, and their engineer told me that lube was formulated for the NVG 3500/3550 and 4500 series transmissions. He didn't know what would happen if you used it in an AX-15 and he didn't care to speculate (at least, not to a customer -- wise man). I rather suspect it would work just fine, but I don't have a spare AX-15 to throw under the bus as a test specimen just in case it doesn't work just fine.

Has anyone tried the stuff?

Honda guys swear by it and the gm stuff.... What are the main differences in the trannies (ax-15 and nvg 3550's) ??

Right now it just has regular dino oil 80W-90 in it (transmission and transfer case), but there is nothing wrong with the correct Royal Purple lubricant either. I will most likely use the Red Line the next time I do it.

It is probably more important that the lubricant be checked and changed once in a while (~ every 2-3 years) that what you actually use for the lubricant.

Jeep t-cases call for ATF. 80-90 weight is way thicker.

GL-5 rated gear oil will eat away at the synchros of an AX-15 (and I assume an AX-5 also, but don't own one so I don't know what the synchros are made of).

Thanks for the info. I will be doing a complete royal purple oil change. With Synchromax in the tranny, max atf in the transfer case, max gear in the axels and royal oil in the engine.

I know its going to be expensive but I have a freind of mine that swears by it.

I bu the cheapest oils I can get my hands on. Unless you're pushing your parts to their limit, changing them on a regular basis is far more important than the price.

Except for oil filters. Spend some coin and get a good quality filter. :thumbsup: (no frams)

I bu the cheapest oils I can get my hands on. Unless you're pushing your parts to their limit, changing them on a regular basis is far more important than the price.

Except for oil filters. Spend some coin and get a good quality filter. :thumbsup: (no frams)

X2. and as far as fluid checking, its shop policy where i work that every time an oil change is done transmission and transfer case fluid is checked for fullness and wear. its a great way to ensure longer life and only take 2 maybe 3 minutes? after a few times you will probably even remember the size bolts and plugs.